Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INVENTOR 2015 SP1, very slow and low CPU usage

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Studio_forma
5875 Views, 28 Replies

INVENTOR 2015 SP1, very slow and low CPU usage

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for my poor english 🙂 I'm using a translator

I have a problem with Inventor 2015 SP1, the use of the software is very slow, especially when I have to update components derived, where the program remains freezed even for an hour!

I noticed that when Inventor is freezed, the load of the CPU is always around 15% / 20%, and by monitoring resource windows is clear that the core with a high load are very few. 

My pc configuration is:

CPU AMD FX-8350 8core
Mainboard: ASROCK 970 EXTREME 4
Ram: 16Gb 1800Mhz
HD: 500Gb traditional
VGA: AMD 7870Gb. 2gb ram
All drivers, bios and the operating system up to date.
Software: Autodesk Inventor 2015 SP1

There is an optimization to be made to the software to speed the use of Inventor?

Thanks in advance for the answers..

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
JDMather
in reply to: Studio_forma

Are you using a 3DConnexion device?

If so, go to the control panel and click Calibrate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 29
Studio_forma
in reply to: JDMather

unfortunately no, use logitech mouse and keyboard microsoft 🙂

thank you anyway
Message 4 of 29
JDMather

If you do a Manage>Rebuild All, are there any errors appearing in your Relationships (assembly constraints) folder at top of assembly browser?

Relationships.png

Is the problem only with this one assembly - or does it occur with ANY assembly?

If you Suppress a particular part or sub-assembly, does it suddenly speed up Inventor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 29
johnsonshiue

Hi! Is this a new behavior on 2015 SP1 or you just tried it on SP1? Try the following option and see if it helps.

Go to Tools -> Application Options -> Files -> uncheck Quick File Open -> OK.

This option is suppoed to help by caching last opened files in memory. However, if the physical memory is run out, it would use disk swap to save the files. Please let me know if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 29
Studio_forma
in reply to: JDMather

I have no warning of relationships. Occurs in particular with this assembly . The only thing "strange " is a derived part , inserted multiple times, with representations of different views . Nothing complex , but I can not delete them as it is a job that I have to deliver soon.

Message 7 of 29
Studio_forma
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The problem I found with Inventor 2015 with or without updates. I have 16gb of RAM , and as per my screenshot , in times of freeze I have always free at least 6 . I will try now to follow your option . I hope it works 🙂

Message 8 of 29
Studio_forma

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! Is this a new behavior on 2015 SP1 or you just tried it on SP1? Try the following option and see if it helps.

Go to Tools -> Application Options -> Files -> uncheck Quick File Open -> OK.

This option is suppoed to help by caching last opened files in memory. However, if the physical memory is run out, it would use disk swap to save the files. Please let me know if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

The situation has changed very positively, now the waiting times are much more acceptable . However my processor work a maximum of 15 % , there is an optimization for Inventor to be able to take full advantage of my processor 8core ?

Message 9 of 29
DarrenP

Inventor is not a 100% multicore program

only parts of it is

a lot these types of program are this way

see this link: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 29
halwaa

Hello Autodesk Team,

Per the forum-subject, I do have the same trouble despite doing the aforesaid chanages NOTHING seems to have improved.

Any lead would be appreciable.

Cheers

Message 11 of 29
pball
in reply to: halwaa

halwaa you won't have good chance of getting Autodesk people responding here. This is a user forum where users help each other. You also didn't really include much information for anyone to try and help with.
Message 12 of 29
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry that the change I mentioned earlier did not help your case. At least we know the performance issue you are seeing is not related to "Quick File Open." I need more information from your end to understand the behavior better. Let me ask you a few questions first.

0) Have you contacted Autodesk Product Support about the issue? If yes, what is the Case ID?

1) What is your Hardware setting (Tools -> Application Options -> Hardware)?

2) Do you use custom Material/Appearance Library? Is the Library on a server or a network location?

3) Do you see the behavior on more than one machine?

4) Do you see the behavior in one dataset or many datasets?

5) Could you describe the poor performance behavior?

6) Does it happen on a regular basis or it happens randomly?

7) I assume the issue is on R2015 SP1. Are the files created in R2015 or they were created in prior releases?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 29
eucci

I am having the same problem . Drawing updates and assembly updates can take several hrs. 

I have been trying to update a 4 page drawing for about 4 hrs now.

It's definately not my specs. All state of the art

Send me a link and I'll send you the files

Message 14 of 29
spascual
in reply to: eucci

Hi Sirs,

Another case here.

2 machines, one with issue, one without.

Vault Professional 2015 SP1, Inventor 2015 SP1

All folders in local (design data, libraries, working folder,...)

Migrated vault from 2012, not data migrated

Designs in good state

Windows 8.1 - it seems to be since last windows updates (last friday)

Regards,

Message 15 of 29
spascual

Hi Sirs,

Another case here.

2 machines, one with issue, one without.

Vault Professional 2015 SP1, Inventor 2015 SP1

All folders in local (design data, libraries, working folder,...)

Migrated vault from 2012, data migrated

Designs in good state

Windows 8.1 - it seems to be since last windows updates (last friday)

Regards,

PS: Hi Sirs, it seems to be the network connection, if I switch off ethernet cable runs well. I'm going to try change cable.

Message 16 of 29
rms390

Welcome to Autodesk, where they add pointless features every year and screw up existing program functionality.

Message 17 of 29
eucci
in reply to: rms390

After working through some of this with my reseller, I've found a fix that works for me. The files that were giving be the biggest headache were idw files of assemblies that had been started in INV 2014. Once I migrated the entire project to INV 2015 I noticed a dramatic improvement in performance.  Additionally, the new "fast open" option when opening idw files allowed me to open quickly and make changes without fully resolving all the links. That way, I could wait til the end to do a full resolve which takes more time.

I hope this helps others.

Message 18 of 29
richiesuk

hi,

we experienced the same issue...

autodesk should change the principle to avoid wasting our time

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/...

Do I need to migrate?

It depends. When you upgrade to a new release, migration of files is not essential; files will be migrated on their own when you open and save a file created in an earlier release (R11 - present) to your current release. Legacy data that is out of production does not require any kind of migration process.

Message 19 of 29
info

I noticed the issue as well.

I've changed all sorts of settings but nothing works. I checked the memory usage while loading a large Assembly. The Files are stored on a server. After half an hour it writes about 3gb in the RAM. Network speed breaks down after 900MB. Then it loads the RAM up slowly (around 4Mbit/s it takes around 30min). I’ve loaded the same assembly on my colleges Computers. It takes 30minutes on all the machines (Windows 8.1). But then I’ve tried to load the same assembly on the older Windows 7 PC. It took about one minute to load the assembly. I checked the Network speed while loading the assembly. It doesn’t break down after 900MB. It just keeps on loading fast (around 70Mbit/s). I switched the network and tried again but nothing has changed (the Network cards are Gbit Ethernet so are the switches and normally everything except the inventor on Windows 8.1 works smooth. The settings of Inventor are exactly the same on every Machine. All of them have the Inventor 2015 SP1 installed. Some service on Windows 8.1 seems to slow down the Network traffic for Inventor 2015. I have no Idea what else it could be because the windows 8.1 Machines are a lot faster than the old Windows 7 PC.

Any advice?

Message 20 of 29
johnsonshiue
in reply to: info

Hi! I just want to make sure you have tried the followings also.

1) Start Inventor and go to Tools -> Application Options -> Files -> uncheck Quick File Open -> OK.

2) Start up Task Manager -> Processes -> find "Superfetch" in description -> turn off the process.

After that, do you see some improvement?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report