Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 SP1 - Missing File Open filetypes - only lists Inventor filetypes

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
gootee2015
1273 Views, 21 Replies

Inventor 2015 SP1 - Missing File Open filetypes - only lists Inventor filetypes

I want to open a '.stp file using the Open command. The files of type drop down box only lists Inventor filetypes. When I first installed the Inventor professional 2015 program the Files of type drop down box included various CAD system formats to choose from and I was able to choose the .stp file format and open a .stp file successfully. Could one of the Inventor Professional 2015 updates possibly have corrupted the filetypes list?

I do not see any area in the Application Options that I can change to effect the filetypes list - how do I get the various CAD filetypes to display as an option  when opening a file?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
DarrenP
in reply to: gootee2015

a screen shot would help

what exactly are you seeing in your drop down list?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 22
gootee2015
in reply to: DarrenP

I could not get the snipping tool to capture the dropdown list of filetypes. The selection list includes the one shown in the attachment 1 and then subgroups of inventor filetypes:    Autodesk Inventor Assemblies (*.iam)    Autodesk Inventor Drawings (*.dwg, *.idw)    Autodesk Inventor Parts (*.ipt)    Autodesk Inventor Presentations (*.ipn)    Autodesk Inventor ifeatures (*.ide)    All Files (*.*)
I tried selecting All Files (*.*) option. The 'stp file displays for selection but I get the failed to open window (Attachment#2) when I select the .stp file and try to open it.
Message 4 of 22
rdyson

What do you se here?

Capture.PNG

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 22
gootee2015
in reply to: rdyson

I can't get the add-in manager window to open - what do you suggest?

Message 6 of 22
gootee2015

rdyson,

I couldn't get the add-in manager to open from within inventor 2015.

I tried starting the addin manager from the programs menu and the attached error window popped up:

Message 7 of 22
gootee2015

the comcat.dll file properties are attached

Message 8 of 22
rdyson

I'm guessing this is a new install.
Did you turn off anti-virus and UAC?
You might try a repair install or complete uninstall / re-install.

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 22
gootee2015
in reply to: rdyson

I turned off the UAC and antivirus and tried the repair option for inventor professional 2015. Still no filetypes and also the addin manager will not open.

I tried uninstall of Inventor 2015 and reinstalled by downloading from autodesk site. The problem is still the same. The add-in manager won't open from within Inventor and when I try to open the add-in manager from the windows program menu I get the error window that I reported earlier.

Any more ideas?

Message 10 of 22

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will fix it but please try the following:

1. Type cmd at the windows start command.
  2. When you see the Command prompt icon, right click on it & use Run as Administrator - (don't just click on the icon as your current user account).
  3. When the command prompt opens, type "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Bin\Inventor.exe" /install
  • ensure to include the ""s

After about 30 seconds start Inventor & try to open the add-in manager.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 22

Chris,

I tried your suggestion and the result is still the same - Add-in manager will not open in Inventor.

Any other suggestions?

Message 12 of 22

Do you have a folder called Addins in %appdata%\Autodesk\Inventor 2015 ?

If so, try renaming that & then running Inventor.

Or, does it work if you right click Inventor & use Run as administrator ?

Or, what if you create a new administrator user account & try that ? Any difference ?

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 22

Chris,

I could find no file named Addins in %appdata%\Autodesk\Inventor 2015 to rename.

I tried right clicking the Inventor 2015 icon and running as Administrator - same result - could not open Addins folder and the filetypes were still missing.

I created a new user account with administrator priveledges and opened Inventor 2015 - finally some progress! The Addin manager window now opens and the multiple filetypes display in the dropdown box when I use the Open command. I successfully opened the .stp file that I was trying to access when this whole adventure started.

Is there something I can do to the original user account to run Inventor 2015 based on this success using the new account?

Message 14 of 22
Yuming.Zeng

Could you please check if you can find any *.addin files under below folder: %ProgramData%/Autodesk/Inventor 2015/Addins
Message 15 of 22
AustinLiu

Hi,

Thanks for the update. In your new OS account, may you please go to %programdata%/Autodesk/Inventor 2015/Addins  now to see if those add-in files exist now? like autodesk.translatornx.inventor.addin...

If yes, may you please try this?

1. Copy those add-ins to one of you backup folder.

2. Log off the current user and use the other admin account to log into the OS--with which account you met the Inventor problem.

3. Try to launch Inventor again to see whether it works now.

4. If not, then close Inventor; then may you please copy the add-ins you just put in the backup folder to  %programdata%/Autodesk/Inventor 2015/Addins?

5. Restart Inventor.

Thanks for your patience.

-Austin

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 22
gootee2015
in reply to: AustinLiu

Austin,

I tried your suggestions and I still cannot open the Addin manager when I am in the original (administrator) account.

I can see the *.addin files in the %ProgramData%/Autodesk/Inventor 2015/Addins directory when I am in the original account.

Any more suggestions?

Message 17 of 22
AustinLiu

Hi,

We are sorry about this.

May you please try to copy the add-in files from %ProgramData%/Autodesk/Inventor 2015/Addins to %appdata%\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Addins folder to check whether it can solve the problem?

Thanks,

-Austin

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 18 of 22
gootee2015
in reply to: AustinLiu

Austin,

I copied the complete addins folder from the %programdata% Autodesk\Inventor 2015 to %appdata% directory as you suggested.  My results are still the same - I can not load Add-in manager when I am logged on in the original administrator account.

Any more suggestions?

Message 19 of 22
AustinLiu

Do you mind contacting me via email? You can find my email in my signature.

If you are willing to help us out, we want to provide a small tool to check what's wrong on your computer and share the detailed steps to you via email. Greatly appreciate your help!

BTW, suppose your Inventor version is 2015 SP1 203 build, right? You can simply find the information on Help Button-> About Autodesk Inventor Professionl, after Inventor lauched.

Thanks for you patience,

-Austin

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 20 of 22

SP1 Update 3 has fixed this issue. thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report