Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 Rib Feature

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
westc
3417 Views, 13 Replies

Inventor 2015 Rib Feature

I recently had my students working on a file that required them to create a circular pattern of a rib in Inventor 2015. I watched the tutorial video, and did exactly as the instructor did, but I could not get the rib feature to work. I had them try and replicate what I had done, but not even I could get it to work again. I've attached the file so that I can get help with figuring out why the feature won't work properly. I'm just trying to create a rib that uses the line shown in the sketch (in the file) as the exterior profile of the rib and goes and connects to the circular shaft in the center and the base plate.

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
CCarreiras
in reply to: westc

Hi!

You can't have the line fixed in the edges...

When you build the rib and observe the result, you will understand why.

Clipboard01.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 14
CCarreiras

Hi!

Sketch like this and these definitions, and you will have your rib.

Clipboard02.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 4 of 14
JDMather

@westc wrote:
 I watched the tutorial video, and did exactly as the instructor did, ...

Do you have a url to the video.  Does the bottom of the rib in the video really curve along the cylinder?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
westc
in reply to: JDMather

The one in the video is like the second picture that was shown above, where the drawing is dimensioned away from the edges. The drawing that my students were using has the ribs going all the way to the edges, which Inventor doesn't like. I was able to figure out after using the above images to figure out a way to get it to work at the edges by deleting the constraints that held the line ends to the end and then changing the type of rib to a finite rib and playing around with the directions for the rib and the symmetry.

Message 6 of 14
JDMather

@westc wrote:
 The drawing that my students were using has the ribs going all the way to the edges, which Inventor doesn't like.....

I doubt it isn't just a case of Inventor doesn't "like".  My bet is that it is a fantasy drawing.  Do you have a source?  Book page?

A lot of these images come back from the drawing board days and are art rather than machined features.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
westc

The drawing is number 10-32 on page 436 of the Technical Drawing and Engineering Communication textbook (6th ed.). I've attached a photo of the part from the book.

Message 8 of 14
JDMather

Yep, that is fantasy art drawn with pencil.

If I get a chance - I will create a machined part this weekend to show what that would actually look like on the shop floor.

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
Vlad.Makarov

Something like the attached? Turn then mill.

JDMather
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

I worked out on the shop floor for eight years making parts very much like that on the lathes and mills.  (I would likely have used lathe and broaching machine - not mill.)

You image looks like a fantasy part.  In the real world - can't machine perfect geometry.

Attach your *.ipt file here.

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
Vlad.Makarov

Yeah, let's agree to disagree. I'm willing to bet I can make it like I attached. Yes, it will not be perfect. The point is it can be done.

JDMather
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

This thread is about using Inventor Rib Feature.  Can you attach your file here - the geometry looks pretty simple?

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
JDMather

Open the attached file.

Note that there are no fillets in the casting as there should be.

Drag the red End of Part marker down step-by-step representing machining operations.

Examine the ends of the Rib features before dragging EOP below Split3.

This is most likely result of machining the casting as dimensioned.

This result illustrates why Inventor Rib feature will fail to create rib in finished state to the cylinders.

Drag the EOP below Split3.

An additional machining (unlikely, and not indicated on original drawing) of conic.  (and again, note lack of fillets in original drawing)

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
JDMather

In my previous post - if the conic will be cut on the Ribs, then additional material must also be added to the ribs to ensure that all get cut and look aesthetically pleasing to the customer.  The previous file attachment made an assumption of perfect geometry.

Examine this Revision pulling the EOP down step-by-step. 

I already mentioned the missing fillets, but haven't even begun a discussion of the missing Face Draft (and part shrinkage) (or Weldment - brings up another set of considerations).

30 yrs ago when I was out on the shop floor making parts like this - if the designer brought me a drawing like posted above - I would start a sequence of 20 questions asking, "Now what do you really, really, really want (and at what projected cost), because this drawing is fantasy."

The manufacturing process should be considered during the design process.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report