Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 Repeatedly Not Responding After One Drawing

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
3745 Views, 13 Replies

Inventor 2015 Repeatedly Not Responding After One Drawing

So I have recently installed Inventor 2015 to try it out. I had no issues installing the software and was quickly able to put together a few drawings. Im quite happy with the program and all the new features. However, ever since I have saved my first drawing I have been unable to open the program or a saved drawing without my whole computer locking up. Once everything locks up the only way I can start over is to litterally unplug my computer....control+alt+delete is unresponsive.

I installed all the patches I could find hoping an update would fix the issue, I also tried creating a new user, running as admin, disabling the home page loading at startup, etc. 

Does anybody have any clue what the deal is, Im extremely frustrated at this point.....im just trying to get some work done.

If anybody could direct me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

FYI: I am running Inventor 2015 off of a Mac with Parallels Desktop and Windows 7 Ultimate. I have a 2.0 ghz i7 Intel processor and 16gb ram.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: Anonymous

i was gonna say you have a corrupt user profile but the new user you already made should have had you back on track already!

i have no experience on mac with parrallel windows OS but will try to have a search on this today.

does your attempt to start the inventor session even reach the startup splash screen?

you have probably done this by now but you could try the typical...

• uninstall inventor and all autodesk related programs,
  • turn off your virus software and UAC
  • make sure you are an admin, then
  • install inventor & service packs
  • restart computer
  • create a restore point
  • test inventor

i will let you know if i find anything. please let us know what is happening with it too as you go along, if you have time.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Little update for you....

I tried a combination of a few things you said. In the end I ended up just uninstalling everything AND creating a new user profile in windows. Not sure why but that seemed to help. 

As of right now it had a very slow startup but now that its finally running, things seem to be working. If im not mistaken the first time you run Inventor it is very slow to start up, but it speeds up thereafter.

Im going to try to draw some more and close down the program and re-open it. Will keep you updated.

Message 4 of 14
blair

This should help is repairing a Windows User Profile:

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 14
JDMather

I always create a Windows Restore Point directly before installing any software and just after verifying that it is running correctly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

So I just tried to re-open my modeled parts I made yesterday and Im back to square one. The program starts to open the part up and eventually it just runs so slow its not usable and then eventually locks up completely. I cant even get back to my Mac OS to close out Inventor.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Quick note as well....I just went to a previous system restore point from when the program was working well and it seemed to make no difference.

I then created a new Windows Profile and opened Inventor and it works perfectly. There is something definitely going wrong with the User profiles and Inventor, I can't seem to get past one session without having to make a new profile or reinstall the software.

Whats the deal here?

Message 8 of 14
blair

Can you repair your User Profile with the instructions in the PDF I had attached. Not sure what the problem is, I would make sure that you have all the SP's and Updates for your O/S and the Windows O/S as well.

I know you can't switch back and forth between Parrell and VMS as it breaks the Inventor licence. The closest to Mac I get is my iPad and iPhone iOS.

Make sure that you had Admin Priv in Windows and make sure the UAC slider in your Account is set to it's lowset setting (turns it off).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

I am all up to date as far as I know, in addition I did try the PDF's instructions before I did a system restore. However, I was missing some of the specified files mentioned so I gave up. I noticed the file only cited up to Inventor 2014 and Im running 2015. Im assume the differences are attributed to the version.

As far as switching between parrallels Im not sure what you mean. The point of parallels is that I can run windows and mac at the same time. I constantly switch between the two while I work, which is the whole point. 

I prefer mac computers but unfortunately windows runs the world so I usually use both as needed throughout the day.

I guess ill try adjusting my UAC for now......

Message 10 of 14
blair

You would just need to change the Inventor Version number specific to your version of Inventor. Instructions are the same for Windows for all versions.

You used to be able to run Inventor on a couple of different ways on a Mac. Since I don't use Mac's I'm not that up on the issues and problems.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 14
theone6000

I believe there are three things going on, A. microsoft has a big stake in autodesk, B.a loop can be created in autodesk that inventor continualy chews on, simular to a programers code of  (line 1) a = 1+1; (line 2) if a = 1 go to line one;, C. inventor remembers all the actions that have gone before the current one until saved(thus it is good practice to save every 3-5 actions. D. inventor has a memory leak somewhere. and regardless of what is said, i firmly one or more of the issues above are generating a "not responding" error!

Message 12 of 14
blair
in reply to: theone6000

What are you set for your Environment Settings within the Parallels. Since you can adjust how much system resources get split between Mac's O/S and Parallels, you may need to increase the allocation to Parallels.

This will only affect your system when Parallels is running.

The biggest issue with Parallels, is you have Mac's O/S running, then any application that are open on your Mac which includes Parallels. Then in Parallels you have Windows and finally Inventor.

If you use Inventor alot, I might suggest going to Boot Camp. This basically make your Mac a PC with less overhead.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 14
theone6000

I am running windows 10 on a dell i7, with 8 gig of ram, the memory usage is not a problem as i followed it in the task view, and i left if for about 2 hours and it was still running/waiting!. I have fairly good computer knowldege and understanding of how they work, and i believe that there is something seriously wrong!

Message 14 of 14
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: theone6000

hi,

sorry this is a bit of a long shot but can i ask is it only freezing when you open an idw, to do some detailing or is it causing trouble when you are still in the model?

from my experience lockups and weird unexplained things like this (especialy when opening an idw) i have always having to set my :

tools>options>hardware> to "conservative" mode regardless of OS or graphics capability, accross many different workstations.

if you haven't tried that, give it a whirl & report back.

cheers.

inv conservative.png 

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report