Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 Professional unbearably slow

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
lohstoeter
1242 Views, 13 Replies

Inventor 2015 Professional unbearably slow

Hello,

i use Inventor for a small project for university but it runs way to slow to be productive.

Connecting Parts takes up to 3 Minutes, animations stutter. If I'm lucky i can turn my construction fluently, but zoom kills it again.

My Specs:

- i7 2600k (Clocked to 4GHz)

- 16GB DDR3 

- 128GB SSD (Project + application)

- +16GB virtual memory on an HDD

- (3) GTX 680, (SLI is not supported, i know. Only one is running.)

- Windows 8.1 Pro

- latest geforce driver

- SP1 Update 1

It's **** frustrating. People told they could do their stuff on a regular notebook, without expensive Quadros or FirePro, so my GTX should theoretically handle this stuff very well. 

According to the task manager, Inventor is only taking up to 500MB RAM, even though 10GB+ are available, CPU load below 10%. The virtual memory is almost unused, too.

Placing a screw, connecting parts, placing dependencies, everything takes minutes to complete. It's simply unusable.

I tried:

- to stop any of inventors network activities

- used software rendering

- tried nearly any combination of ticked checkboxes in the settings

Everything running in the background is the Nvidia control thing and avira. 

Hope anyone can help my, attachments follow.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: lohstoeter

It sounds like you are experiencing this behavior in the assembly environment.

I would guess that it is caused by a "sick" constraint.

Can you attach an assembly here that exhibits this behavior?

Or is the slow behavior occuring in the part modeling environment as well?

Are you using a 3D Connexion device?  If so, try clicking Calibrate in the 3D Connexion Control Panel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
lohstoeter
in reply to: JDMather

All the tiny parts work well, but the .iam where i put them all together is a mess, performance wise.
How do i check my constraints? I have no exclamation marks, i think.

It also takes 5ever to load a standard part from the library into a bigger .iam, whereas a small on is almost instant.

I use a regular mouse.

(Can not upload anything, sorry)

Message 4 of 14
JDMather

Pack and go, zip and attach assembly here or

here

https://360.autodesk.com/  and generate link and reply back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 14
lohstoeter

Pack and go tells me "extensability interface" missing. It's probably the right time to reinstall the Application right? Could this kill any of my projects?

I would rather not upload anything..

Message 6 of 14
JDMather

Do not reinstall until exhausting other options.

1. You never really indicated if this is a problem with all of Inventor or with just one assembly.

You can check the Relations folder for sick constraints - but if you have to ask how to do this, it might be better to have an experienced user take a look at your entire workflow, from sketch-to geometry-to assemblies.

2. Did you install with anti-virus and UAC temporarily disabled?

Try a Repair Install.

3. Can you check this assembly on another machine?

Message 7 of 14
lohstoeter

1. I have two larger assemblies in my project, both are wonky. I think it started when i imported a few files i got from tracepartsonline.

2. Installation took literally 21 attempts, UAC was off, avira off, had error 1603 all the time, then fixed it by uninstalling some vcredists.

Repair install didn't work. Don't remember the exact message, but it told that i had a newer version installed or something, then tried to abort but could since there was something missing. I have no idea what's going on.

3. Since Pack and Go does not work and I don't know where all the stuff is saved, sadly not. 

I reinstalled it now, settings are at default now, but it's almost the same. I still get the "extensability interface missing"-message.

I will try to move it over by hand, then try to clean up anything that could be wrong.

Thank you for your help, i couldn't find any larger sample project asside from the suspension on in some sample pack.

Do you have anything larger at hand so i could test if it's just a performance issue or if my project is having some problems?

Message 8 of 14
lohstoeter

Okay, i tested it on my Thinkpad (FireGL V5700, C2D P9500), it runs totally smooth.
It's a 6 year old notebook. What is going on.
Message 9 of 14
blair

Check that your Anti-Virus software isn't checking your Inventor files. Make sure that you have all the SP's and Updates for your version of Inventor.

Try a reboot of your system as you could have something going on there that a reboot will clean up.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 14
lohstoeter
in reply to: blair

Okay, i don't know it is that slow, Avira is turned off, nothing is running in the background, drivers are fresh and all the updates are installed.
Will finish this project on my notebook, even though i don't understand.

Could there be compatibility issues with windows 8.1? My laptop is running 7x64.
Well doesn't matter for me anymore, thanks for your help!

(Don't know if i should mark an answer as solution since there is none..)

Message 11 of 14
blair

Try a different User Account, log in to the Administrator Account and see if it's any better.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 14
plwitt79

My Inventor 2015 is extremely slow as well...have a small frame with 20 or so members and it is horrible to work with... When I try to put it on the drawing .idw...it pretty much freezes...
Message 13 of 14
blair
in reply to: plwitt79

Have you tried any of the solutions on this post?

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 14
thedelee

HOW WOULD YOU STOP MCAFEE FROM CHECKING INVENTOR FILES, I THINK IT MAY BE SLOWING MY MACHINE DOWN.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report