Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 part sketch object daw order

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
kjacobs
525 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor 2015 part sketch object daw order

This has probably been answered, I just can't find info.

Q: Is there an Inventor part sketch command equivelent to the AutoCad command DRAWORDER?

I know if you hold the curser over the object for awhile...awhile.. a menu comes up with the object order numbers that you have to remember in which order you drew the objects in if they are similer in shape, because they look similer and you can't actully tell them apart. I'ts just time consuming. The Autocad DRAWORDER worked well for me in AutoCad.

ThankYou in Advance

Kevin

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: kjacobs

I recommend that you attach a file here that illustrates why you need draworder.

You don't have to hover and wait for the Select Other - you can get to it with Right Mouse Button.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
JDMather

Can you think up an example?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
kjacobs
in reply to: JDMather

Hi there, thanks for responding. Yes a lot of times you have multiple lines on top of one another and need to have a specific line on the top, like when your trying to close a loop. I used to use the send to back command in AutoCad a lot or bring to front. I'm still new to Inventor so if they have a trick sililar to ACad DrawOrder command it would be useful.

Regards Kevin,

Message 5 of 11
JDMather

No, I never have lines on top of each other.

Can you post a *.ipt file that exhibits the behavior you describe?

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

No, I never have lines on top of each other.

Can you post a *.ipt file that exhibits the behavior you describe?

I'm guessing they are referring to drawing lines over projected lines in a sketch. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: mcgyvr

It will all be a guess until the OP posts an example.

RMB Select Other could be a simple solution.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi kjacobs,

In addtion to the other replies, I wonder if a change to your sketch approach would help:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 9 of 11
kjacobs
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hey Curtis,

That link was a good read. For the most part I try to do that already, your right though with the features. Instead of drawing them on the main sketch, use the tools in inventor to do that for you with other sketches.

Hi mcgyvr. Your right about the projected lines. If I do a sketch with a basic rectangle over another part to add features or another part and use the projected lines, a lot of the time when I go to extrude that rectangle only to find out there is an open loop someplace. Just have to find out an easy way to create a closed loop without haveing all those projected lines getting in the way or is that why you constrain your sketch? I think I figured it out. get rid of any lines that intersect your sketch, constrain you sketch with dimensions and that should solve my problem with lines on top of one another screwing up a closed loop, no, maybe??? Trying to find a sketch I had trouble with to upload.

Message 10 of 11
SBix26

Use lines to constrain your sketches, but make sure that any lines that are not part of your profile are changed to construction lines-- they will appear thin and dashed, and Inventor will ignore them when constructing a profile for extruding, rotating, sweeping, etc.  I often toggle to construction before projecting geometry into a sketch, knowing that I will use those projected entities as the base for sketching a new profile.  The dashed lines make it pretty easy to tell which entity you are selecting for measurements, etc.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 11 of 11
kjacobs
in reply to: SBix26

Hi Sam,

I still didn't get an answer to my original question but that's fine. I'm sure your solution along with the advice from Curtis will help me when sketching parts for models. The things you suggested is the kind of solutions I need to become better at this.

Thank you all for your help

Regards Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report