Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 Not Automatically Creating Sheet Metal A-Side Definition

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
petestrycharske
457 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2015 Not Automatically Creating Sheet Metal A-Side Definition

All,

I had a client of mine bring this to my attention and now I am having the same difficulty, Inventor is not automatically generating the A-side definition for sheet metal components.  Now this isn't the end of the world, as the A-Side can still be defined manually; however, I believe the automatic functionality is supposed to exist.  Is there a setting somewhere that triggers this?  I haven't found one yet, but am curious if anyone is aware.  I just installed Update 1 to SP 1 this morning (haven't rebooted, though), so I should be up-to-date.  Have attached the file that isn't producing the A-side automatically.  Anyway, if anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance for any assistance and have a most blessed day!

Regards,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: petestrycharske

@petestrycharske wrote:

...  Have attached the file that isn't producing the A-side automatically. 
Pete

When I created Flat Pattern the A-side node was created automatically. 

iProperties of the part indicated SP0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5

Hi! Pete,

Like JD mentioned earlier, A-side seems to be created automatically after Flat Pattern is created (click Flat Pattern command with or without pre-selecting a face). Do you mind elaborating the exact steps leading to the behavior you are seeing?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5

All,

JD, my apologies, I had actually created the part prior to installing the service pack and must not have saved it in the new state.  Mostly, I was just curious if the service pack would help or not.

Johnson, I pretty much followed the steps that you described, click on create a flat pattern and no A-Side Definition is present in the model browser under either the folded model or flat pattern.  I have even tried to delete the flat pattern and then repeated the process again.  I don't pick any surface and when the flat pattern is generated there isn't the A-side.  I can manually create one, but am not sure why the automated one is not appearing.  Here is another save of the file, which should now be at SP1, Update 1.

Thanks for looking into this guys and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 5 of 5

I've created a new part file from scratch and again there is no automatic A-Side generated.  My exact steps were:

1. Create a new Sheet Metal Part (Generic Template)

2. Create a new Sketch on the XY - Plane

3. Create a simple "C" shape with lines

4. Finish Sketch and create a Contour Flange

5. Change to Sheet Metal Defaults Thickness to .070

6. Create a Flat Pattern

Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts or insights.  Does the part require an operation on it to define the A-Side?  I tried this, by deleting the existing flat pattern, creating a hole feature and then recreating the flat pattern, but it didn't seem to help.  Hope this helps and have a most blessed day!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report