Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 No longer Responding/ Locking up HELP

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
TrocoChris
781 Views, 16 Replies

Inventor 2015 No longer Responding/ Locking up HELP

Computer:

HP Pavilion M7 

i7 intel

Windows 7 home 64bit

Inventor 2015 has always worked pretty flawlessly here at work. Tuesday 9-2-14 it was working fine, yesterday 9-3 it just started freezing on me in the middle of the day. Long long long wait times to get to open existing drawings. Delays in starting new parts. Most of the time when I click NEW or OPEN, nothing even happens. Sometimes things will open, sometimes nothing. Even when it does open, trying to edit parts is almost impossible. 

Yesterday a simple single part edit and drawing update that would take maybe 10 min max by the time I redimension and convert to pdf took me almost an hour due to software delays. I cannot minimize Inventor or Close it either. I have to force it closed. It has crashed once... I'm needing any help I can get. I have my two drafters working fine, but my Inventor is killing me. 

Autocad Lt is working fine. It's only inventor. 

Please help

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
cbenner
in reply to: TrocoChris

What has changed in the system that might cause this problem.  Are you on a network?  Do you have Vault?  Windows Updates?  Hardware changes, or software updates? 

Message 3 of 17
TrocoChris
in reply to: cbenner

I have Vault but do not use it.

The only thing I think could have changed is possibly a Windows Update. I cannot access anything. It just keeps saying "Not Responding". I just tried stopping the "home screen startup window". Although that makes Inventor open a bit faster...... I still cannot get to my drawing sets.

Message 4 of 17
TrocoChris

Forgot to say.... We utilize a small business server. Store individual files in said server associated to job numbers. Each file contains all information about job including parts/assy/drawings. 

Message 5 of 17
cbenner

If nothing in Inventor changed, I would look at hardware as a possible suspect.  Also, in your Control Panel, look for any updates that were installed in the last day or so and try uninstalling them.  Sometimes Windows updates can wreak havoc with other software.

Message 6 of 17
TrocoChris

I did a system restore and reinstalled windows updates. Then repaired Inventor 2015. Then updated the Service pack 2 for inventor. Not sure if it's fixed or not just yet...

Message 7 of 17
johnsonshiue

It is hard to tell where the problem is without seeing the actual behavior or a set of steps to reproduce the behavior. Could you try the following?

1) Start Inventor.

2) Go to Tools -> Application Options -> General -> uncheck Show My Home on startup -> OK.

Does it help?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 17
TrocoChris
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I did this yesterday. And the only thing it did was get Inventor open faster.... I did this with the above sequence, and I'm putting it through the paces today. Although working, it's still running VERY VERY sluggish now. It wasn't this way before.

Message 9 of 17
TrocoChris

It is operational, but barely..... Its so sluggish it's unbearable....

The problem is mainly relevant, whenever I try and open a part that is on the server..... Sifting through the "open prompt box" is very very slow. Once I finally make it to the sub folder that I'm looking for, it moves so slowly to get open. Taking approx 5 min from time of highlighting to open. Once open, editing is super delayed.

I keep getting "not responding" flashing at the top as I move forward. 

I opened an assembly, and tried to open a single part, then went to edit sketch... The whole process took 15min to get to get the edit sketch to open.

Message 10 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! When you say you store files on a server, it is on local network or it is in the cloud?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 17
TrocoChris

Local Network.

But I've narrowed down what is causing the issue. (Not how to resolve it just yet though).

It's the internet and or server for some reason. If I restart the modem/router for about 15min Inventor will work well. Then as time moves towards a 1/2hr from restart.... I'm back at square one with super lagging. 

But, my internet connection is testing fine and the email/webpages are fine. 

Message 12 of 17
johnsonshiue

Could you try one more test for me? Close Inventor and right-click on the Inventor launch icon -> Run as Administrator. Does it help?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 17
TrocoChris

It's working alot better that way. (But I did just reset the router/modem not long ago)

So, I'm a little worrysome about saying that fixed it... Just yet, but extrememly faster running it that way. 

Message 14 of 17
TrocoChris

Came in after this weekend, and it jammed up immediately being very sluggish.

Reset the router and server, and it's been working fine for about an hour. Any other thoughts?

Message 15 of 17
bob_holland

Chris,

Are you in the same building as the server?

Are you accessing it via VPN?

If you copy the same files from the server to your local computer, does it take the same amount of time?

Are your files physically on the server or is the server accessing a NAS device?

Where any new services of the Small Business Server started like Exchange or SQL?

With the new server are you doing real-time backups?

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 16 of 17
TrocoChris
in reply to: bob_holland

Are you in the same building as the server?  

YES

Are you accessing it via VPN?

NO

If you copy the same files from the server to your local computer, does it take the same amount of time?

NO, It's much faster.

Are your files physically on the server or is the server accessing a NAS device?

Yes, physically on server.

Where any new services of the Small Business Server started like Exchange or SQL?

Not sure.

With the new server are you doing real-time backups?

We run Good Sync software that is supposed to backup at night after business hours. But the backup tower to the server has been DOA lately. Working on getting our IT guy in here. 

Message 17 of 17
TrocoChris

I think I solved the problem. 

The issue lies somewhere between the connection of my laptop to the server when at the office.

I'm hardwired to a router, which is also connected to the server. The breakdown in "digital communication" is somewhere in that link. The only way to keep the issue from happening or stopping it when it starts is to reset the router.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report