Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 - keyboard short cuts

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
gavinc
1258 Views, 17 Replies

Inventor 2015 - keyboard short cuts

It would be great if Autodesk could release a fix for keyboard shortcuts.

Short cuts used to be set up relative to category.

eg.

c = constraint in assembly category

c = centre point circle in sketch category

These dont work the way they used to.

If I am in the assembly environment and press c, Inventor expects me to scroll through every short cut in all categories.

Previously if I was in the assembly category it would go straight to constrain since it is the only one in the assembly category.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
pcrawley
in reply to: gavinc

Go back to the Customize dialog box > Keyboard > Un-check the "Use default multi-character Command Aliases".

Peter
Message 3 of 18
MingweiGao
in reply to: pcrawley

This change was introduced in Inventor 2015 by Sketch change - the sketch environment is active as well while in 3D Model or Assemble environment. So if you define “C” shortcut for Center Point Circle command in Sketch environment will conflict with  exiting shortcut “C” for  Place Constraint command, input “C” Inventor will ask which “C” should be executed.

To make it work, you can define another shortcut for Center Point Circle command or press direction key to select the Place Constraint command.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 4 of 18
gavinc
in reply to: MingweiGao

This cannot be the problem, someone I work with is not having this issue and is running 2015.

He has x3 instances of the "c" shortcut and yet while in the assembly environment his shortcut goes directly to constraint

Message 5 of 18
MingweiGao

Can you check with him if he set the shortcut "C" for Center Point Circle command? 

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 6 of 18
karthur1

@MingweiGao wrote:

This change was introduced in Inventor 2015 by Sketch change - the sketch environment is active as well while in 3D Model or Assemble environment. So if you define “C” shortcut for Center Point Circle command in Sketch environment will conflict with  exiting shortcut “C” for  Place Constraint command, input “C” Inventor will ask which “C” should be executed.

To make it work, you can define another shortcut for Center Point Circle command or press direction key to select the Place Constraint command.

Thats the way mine works also.  I have "C" defined as both constraint and center point circle.  Now in an assembly, I have to press "C" then down arrow to select the constraint tool.  I dont like this workflow at all.  Whats the point of having a shortcut key if you have to move your eyes and hands in order to press the up/down arrow key just to get to the command that you wanted to begin with?  Think about it.

I use the constraint tool hundreds of times a day. How many times have I used the Assembly Sketch tab?....I have NEVER used it. In fact if I could, I would remove it from the menu bar to reduce the clutter. If you want to do a sketch in an assembly, then start 2D sketch thats under the 3D Model tab.

"C" has always been circle... and "C" has always been constraint.  I just don't see the point in the sketch tab in the assembly environment.

Guess I'm just old school.

Message 7 of 18
gavinc

No he has not modified his "c" short-cuts

Message 8 of 18
gavinc
in reply to: karthur1

Didnt even realise that there was a sketch tab on the ribbon tool bar.

What's the point of that? It seams to me you loose so much functionality with shortcuts for no reason or am I missing something?

Is there a way to select which tabs are displayed or turned on?

What happened to the days when you could customise things the way you wanted it.

Message 9 of 18
mrattray

Do you have the latest SP? I know I screamed about this problem when I first installed 2015, and now it's fixed. I'll try to dig up what the solution was.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 18
gavinc
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks I would really appreciate that. I have SP1 installed.

Message 11 of 18
mrattray

What about update 1 for SP1?

Edit:

My experimentation has confirmed that this problem exists in the standard un-updated version of 2015 but not in SP1-UD1.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 18
gavinc

I have just loaded SP1-UD2 and continue to have the same problem.

Any other ideas?

Message 13 of 18
karthur1

I have SP1, Update 1 installed. However, I do experience the problem.

There must be something else that keeps that from happening on your system.

Here is how my app options look (General Tab).  Is yours setup this way also?

2015-01-23_0709.png

Message 14 of 18
mrattray

The only thing I have different is local help on and my home turned off.

Last night I was testing on my home set-up. I'm at work now, but I share settings (both app options and customize) between the two via export/import into my dropbox folder. So, it should be the same settings at both machines.

Here's a shot of my customize dialog showing "T" defined as an alias for both annotation sketch and sketch text:

Capture.JPG

Also, just to be 100% sure I double checked: I simply press "T" while in a drawing and I get annotation text.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 18
mrattray

I'm SURE I discussed this problem on this board somewhere, I think it was off topic. I'm pretty sure I got a useful response from an A'Desker, but I simply can't seem to find the thread. Do you know of a way to browse through all of your own posts in chronological order? I think I could find it that way.

Edit:

In case you really feel this may be an app option issue, I attached an xml of my app options. Make sure you remmeber to export yours first so you can revert after testing.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 16 of 18
karthur1

To search your posts, Look all the way up on top of this page.  Click on your login name. This will take you to Bio page.  Scroll down a little and on the left you will see "My Latest Activity".  click the "View all" and it will show all your posts in chronological order.

I loaded your xml and the "C" command does the same thing here with your or my xml..... so it must not be an application option.

I experimented with this a little more. I have "C" defined as a shortcut key for both assembly "Constraint" and "Center Point circle". 

2015-01-23_1239.png

Now in an EMPTY assembly file, when I press "C" it wants me to pick a plane to start sketching.  That makes sense since there is nothing there to constrain.  But, if I place a part in the assembly and then press "C", I now have to use teh up/down arrow keys to tell it what I want (circle or constraint).

With the "T" being defined as "Text" for Sketch and Drawing environment.... that works fine in both.  Maybe thats because the Sketch Text command is not available until you place a sketch on a view in the drawing environment.

I assigned "L" to the drawing "Draft Views". Of course, "L" is also the "Line" coammand.  So in teh drawing enviro, when I press "L", I then have to press arrow up/down to choose if I want either Line or Draft Views.  So it behaves the same way whether in a drawing or assembly enviro.

Kirk

Message 17 of 18
mrattray

Thanks for that tip, Kirk. I was able to use it to find this thread where @Daniela_Koloszko states that it's an "issue" that's been solved in SP1. However, when I try using "C" in an assembly I, too, get the "select your command" thingy in SP1 UD1.

Perhaps, this should be escalated?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 18 of 18
karthur1

The only way I see them solving it is to take the stupid sketch tab out of the assembly enviro.

But really, its no big deal for me. I'll leave "C" defined only for teh constraint command and just keep clicking the Circle command. The only time I use it is when Im dong machining and need to draw a circle. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report