Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015: Direct Edit - Delete Command Issue

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jason.tollefsen
634 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2015: Direct Edit - Delete Command Issue

Hi all,

I'm a little late getting started with 2015 here in our office, we've only been using it for a week, but I've come up with an issue in this new version with the "direct edit - delete" command (previously the dedicated command "delete face") which complicates one of our reoccurring workflows.

The problem with the new command is its behavior when trying to select multiple faces for one "delete". The software processes the individual face selections very slowly. It attempts to display a brand new / unique preview of the resultant solution for every single selection. That might be fine when you're deleting 1-2 faces, but any more & it can become painstakingly slow (you end up waiting for the updated preview between each selection).

We end up deleting faces fairly frequently when working with customer supplied "dumb" solids as we mockup & illustrate manufacturability improvements to collaborate with our customers on improving their designs/reducing cost. In these situations, although not ideal, it’s not uncommon for us to grab a group of 20 or so faces to pull out & rebuild an improved feature. With 2015's new command this has become a real chore.

I did find a work-around, which is to start the "direct" command choose "move" prior to making the face selections. This enables you to click away & quickly highlight all the faces you want without "preview" updates. Then to perform the intended operation you change your selection back to "delete" before you apply the command. This works much better, but shouldn’t be necessary.

Is there anything I'm missing here? A setting, a reg key, a different way to use the command I'm not aware of? If not, is this something that can be improved to be more functional - I'd sure appreciate that.

Thanks,

Jason

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: jason.tollefsen

The old command is still available.

Delete Face.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5

Hi! The poor performance you are seeing does not make sense to me. Could you send me a part exhibiting the behavior directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5
jason.tollefsen
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD,

Well... that makes me feel stupid. I really thought I'd looked there, but apparently got caught up in testing & troubleshooting the "new" command & hadnt. Having the "old" command is fine by me. That should work, thanks

-Jason

Message 5 of 5

Johnson,

I'm sorry, I don't think I can send you this file, not without getting some permission from the other end. I might be able to send some screen caps of a zoomed in section of geometry - but I'm not sure that would help.

I can tell you the body is somewhat free-form in shape & filleted heavily. the area I'm working on is a heat-sink that's intended to be machined. I was attempting to remove fillets so that i could replace some of the "free-form" faces with more conventional and/or planer geometry. I was grabbing the fillets in adjacent sections (the entire length of the common feature) & only removing as much as necessary to get me back to the "sharp edge" geometry I needed to honor/preserve. I'd say I was trying to grab a chain of 15 faces at time & using the direct command it would take me a couple of minutes to do the selection.

I'd assume you can take any example similar to what I described. Export the file, then import it as a neutral file & probably see the same results.

I should mention I do have SP1 installed & this is a new workstation with decent specs that I wouldn't think to blame for performance issues (performance is fine otherwise).

Thanks,
Jaosn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report