Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 Centerline

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ceres12345
1326 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor 2015 Centerline

With 'Centerline' command on drawings I want to draw centerline between two points in section. After I finish command, the centerline is drawn, but not between the points I selected - it is drawn somewhere in the section material (I can't determine by what rule). If I now drag its endpoints to the right location (where I clicked in the first place), it stays correct.

This appeared in Inventor 2015? In previous versions it worked fine.

Greetings,

Zvonimir

Pic1.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: ceres12345

I haven't tried this, but -

what if you dragged the lower A point on the cutting plane line down to show the entire hole in rectangular view added the center line and then dragged lower A point back to current location?

(from your image - you would most likely have to delete a coincident constraint to endpoint in the sketch and change it to a coincident to line)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
ceres12345
in reply to: JDMather

🙂

I was already convinced that it might work - although the amount of 'clicks' to do that is about the same in both cases, BUT this is the result I got...

Slika bez naziva.png

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

I didn't bother to try from first post as you hadn't attached any files.

So now I take a few minutes to create the files you didn't attach, and -

I have no trouble creating the center line?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
ceres12345

I appologize for the files...
Meanwhile I tried it on another computer with the same (negative) result.

This is the procedure I've been using for years with the same settings in every new version of Inventor.
Now I'm really confused if it works for you.
Can I please ask you to try again on (now) attached files?
Thanks.

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

OK,

I found a solution (work-around).

First, I tried opening your file and realized that I had 2014 running rather than 2015 when I ran my own test.

I verified that it in fact worked as expected in 2014, but NOT in 2015, as you observed.

Looks like you  found a bug (I haven't installed SP1 yet to see if it has been fixed in 2015-SP1.

My work-around was to click the centerpoints of the lines rather than the endpoints and it places at endpoints.

Bug Alert.png

Message 7 of 10
ceres12345

Thanks.

I confirm that your workorund works.

And no, 2015-SP1 doesn't address this issue.

Message 8 of 10
mflayler2

Just to point out another way to get this particular Centerline, have you tried using Automated Centerlines on that view.  It will generate the expected result.

2014-09-19_12-45-44.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 9 of 10
ceres12345
in reply to: mflayler2

Yes, you are right.

I was so stuck in my routine and wanted to do it my way no matter what.

I now see that it works also if you click anywhere on the lines, just not at the endpoints 🙂

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is indeed a bug. When endpoints are selected, the resultant centerline should be snapped to the endpoints as the preview indicated. The new behavior in R2015 is wrong. I am forwarding it to development for further review.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report