Distinguished Contributor
FProcp
Message 1 of 138 (10,682 Views)
Accepted Solution

Inventor 2014 Wish List?

10682 Views, 137 Replies
06-02-2012 05:25 PM

Constraints.jpg

Maybe the sketch environment could be a little tidier?

1 - I think by default the constraint icons should be smaller so they don’t pile up on top of each other and you can’t see what they are. They appear to be much neater and easier to read in SW?

2 - In the attached sketch it shows there are 3 dimensions needed even though the lines are now dark blue in color showing they are constrained. They are really not fully constrained because the length of both those lines can be changed.

I think there should be a symbol to show those line end points are not locked down. I have drawn “x” marks on those lines to show that. Maybe that or something else would be enough to quickly show not locked. Sometimes on complex sketches I spend much time searching for lines that don’t have their ends locked to fully constrain the sketch. I often use automatic dimension to find where those naughty lines are but an x on the end would be much faster.

The sketch environment is the basic backbone of the entier program and it needs to be perfect. :smileywink:

Franc
inventor :-)

This isn't going to get any official attention (besides which, 2014 is in late beta testing, so will not be getting any new functionality at this point).  Please post to the Inventor IdeaStation forum, or search for similar requests and add your support.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Mentor
trumpy81
Message 2 of 138 (10,636 Views)

Re: Inventor 2014 Wish List?

06-03-2012 10:38 AM in reply to: FProcp

Thanks Franc, you've captured one of the problems I have been experiencing a lot in the 2013 sketch environment.

When you placed the lines, I bet you thought they would be automatically constrained hey?

But when you go back and zoom in a little you see these kinds of problems, even though the line color suggests otherwise.

Have you also had odd moments when trying to place a line that it doesn't quite want to snap to the place it should be snapping too, like a center point for example?

EDIT: I have found that increasing the size of the constraint icons actually makes things a little easier, it's still a mess, but at least you can see them better and click on them a little easier as well.

Options/Sketch - Constraint and DOF symbol scale. I have mine set to 1.5

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 138 (10,629 Views)

06-03-2012 11:52 AM in reply to: FProcp

1. SolidWorks does this much better.  If I recall correctly, I think it used to be better in Inventor several releases back.

But then I (almost) never show constraints in Inventor or SolidWorks on my own work - only when checking the work of others.

2. SolidWorks also shows the lines as constrained color, but of course we know they are not - the difference is SolidWorks shows the endpoint of the line as not constrained (rather clearly).  SolidWorks handles this much better.

It is surprising that after all of these years Autodesk hasn't improved this (well, maybe they did when they added the DOF symbols in sketching, but I never turn this on except to check beginner work.

So it seems like these are probably not front-burner issues for experienced Inventor users, but might help beginners, especially those coming from SolidWorks without much experience in that program either.

BTW - the wish list is at AUGI.com

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Pro
sbixler
Message 4 of 138 (10,588 Views)

06-04-2012 04:49 AM in reply to: FProcp

I agree with your ideas for the most part.  But if you want to see the constrained status of the line endpoints, toggle them to centerpoints and they will show in the proper color (constrained or not) as little cross hairs.  Not automatic, certainly, but may be good enough for occasional use.

FProcp
Message 5 of 138 (10,517 Views)

06-05-2012 09:53 PM in reply to: FProcp

I think we also need the ability to isolate sketches like we can isolate components in assembly's or isolate solid bodies in multi-body parts. Too many sketches make environment very messy. Especially when skeleton modelling.

Another option would be to grey out all other sketches when you edit one sketch so you can see what you are working on. Is there something like this already available?

Inventor sketches.jpg

Franc
inventor :-)
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 6 of 138 (10,479 Views)

06-06-2012 09:03 AM in reply to: FProcp

One thing I would do (if appropriate for your situation) is turn off the visibility of dimensions of each sketch as you finish it.

If you need to reference dimensions from one sketch to the next (and Project Geometry won't do) simply name your dimensions.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 7 of 138 (10,473 Views)

06-06-2012 09:15 AM in reply to: FProcp

Hi FProcp

You can request enhancement and new features using the Feed Back link:
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/01/feature-request-for-inventor.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Contributor
TITOPERON4108
Message 8 of 138 (10,402 Views)

06-14-2012 11:51 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

My wish list includes sheet metal features such as normal cut and the possibility to change a base view to a flat partern after projected view is created. Changes in Base view would not affect projected views. I also would need a partial depth view to the projected view so that we could only see some of the bendings.

Normal cut is an advanced 3D sheetmetal cut function that enables you to generate angular cut solids without unfolding them. It represents correctly manufacturing processes like flame, lase, plasma or water cutting, punching, that are made before sheet metal is bent. It allows much more speed and acuracy to the designer during the 3D development.

Those 2 functioinalities I am waiting since Inventor 2, because it is already on SolidEdge and Solidworks for at least 10 years!!!

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 9 of 138 (10,389 Views)

06-14-2012 12:57 PM in reply to: TITOPERON4108

My wishlist for 2014 is very simple:

FIX THE CURRENT SOFTWARE!!!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

richiesuk
Message 10 of 138 (10,358 Views)

06-15-2012 12:28 AM in reply to: FProcp

thay cannot, they have to implement many new features and funcy stuff to get the attention of new buyers

... and whats happening with the stability,etc is secondary...

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.