Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 will not open

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3176 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2014 will not open

Hello,

I'm an IT guy installing Inventor (as part of Design Suite) on our end users' PCs. I'm having trouble getting Inventor 2014 to work under normal, non-admin accounts. Company policy states no end users (even IT staff) normal accounts are an administrator account, so granting end users admin rights is not possible. This is on a fresh install of both Windows 7 64bit and Inventor 2014 with SP1.

I have no errors during installation or launching Inventor with my administrator account. Inventor opens normally. Where I have problems is when I login as a normal user account. Nothing happens when I attempt to launch Inventor. (All the other pieces of Design Suite launch and work as expected).

In task manager, I see that an Inventor.exe and an ApprenticeRegSvr.exe*32 process both start. Nothing happens after this.

I am at a loss what to try next. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Inventor must make updates to the local machine Windows Registry. They will need local administrative rights for this to happen or Inventor will not start or run properly.

Under older versions of Windows you could get away with "Power User".

You might be able to get away with setting the UAC slider to its lowest setting for the user account.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Blair,

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, I'm not able to grant administrator rights to any end users.

I read this document: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=18138720&linkID=9242018 that seems to imply that As long as I open Inventor as an Administrator to do registration, I should be able to then open it as a non-admin, limited user. It also says that Inventor is UAC freiendly. This is why I am confused about my inability to start inventor.

Do you know which registry locations Inventor requires write access to? I might be able to grant write access to specific locations if I knew what they were.

Thanks,

Joel

Message 4 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi joelgb,

You might post this question to this issue on the Installation & Licensing forum. Autodesk staff more actively monitor that forum to answer installation and licensing questions.

If you do create a new post on that forum, it might help to link this post to your new post, and vice versa, in order to help others find the eventual solution in the future.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 5
blair

Not off the top which areas of the registry Inventor writes to, as Curtis suggested posting to the Installation Forum will be better in getting ADSK help. If you are on subscription you should log a support request.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report