Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 - Temporary files

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Driesdaniels
10596 Views, 28 Replies

Inventor 2014 - Temporary files

Hi, 

I recently changed from Autodesk Inventor 2013 to 2014 and I have a problem with my temporary files.. 

Every second inventor makes temporary files at this location (C:\Users\DriesD\AppData\Local\Temp) until my free space of around 20GB is full, sometimes I have to clean up my temp folder 2 times before it opens a drawing. ( It then deletes the around 26GB of temp files ???!!) 

temp.JPG

It creates a folder Proteinrun that contains almost all of the garbage .. I checked my Application options, but I used exactly the same settings as I did in 2013 and the problem doesn't occur there. I also tried to reinstall inventor, but it doesn't help me. 

1.JPG

Can someone please help me, it really slows down my work a lot and none of my colleagues knows how to solve this problem?

PC gegevens.JPG

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Hi Driesdaniels,
Can you determine that Inventor or Autodesk is creating the Proteinrun folder? I've never seen this before. Do you have any add ins installed in Inventor? If you unload those, do you see any change?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 29
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

NEVER seen a question like that before.. Thats a new one..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 29

Hi,

I'v never installed any add ins and when i turn of the inventor program and clean up my temp folder the proteinfolder is gone. I can work in several other programs without having this problem, .. but when I re-open inventor the proteinrun folder get created again and in a few moment my C-drive is full.

I got a comment today from a friend of mine that it could have anything to do with my SSD-drive in combination with autodesk programs ... I don't know if this could help you ?

Thanks for responding 

Message 5 of 29
blair
in reply to: Driesdaniels

Sounds more like a Virus than anything else. I've never seen or heard of this before with Inventor. I would check the Taskmanager and see what applications are using CPU resources.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 29
WHolzwarth
in reply to: blair

I have the proteinrun folder here, too.

I've searched my C: drive after Protein* and got more than 50 results, many of them called ProteinMapping.xml, each one in a Program Files section for Autodesk programs.

Looking into one of them, I'm thinking, they're belonging to Appearances definitions.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 7 of 29
blair

Only one file on my system, and that resides in the: Users>Public>Public Documents>Autodesk>Inventor 2014>Design Data: directory and it's only 644kb.

For something to create a Folder and fill it with garbage truly sounds like a Virus.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 29
Driesdaniels

Hi,

Well my first reaction was also , this should be a virus. But I already did a full virus scan and it turned out empty ... So i don't think it has anything to do with that. We also tried to install the program on a different computer yesterday and I got the same effect. This time it put over 30 GB of garbage in to my C-drive..

I really  think it has something to do with inventor 2014 in combination with the computer configuration ( SSD) and program settings..

grtz

Message 9 of 29
blair

I've been using SSD drives for over 4 years on my workstations with Inventor. One Dell Precision with a SSD drive and 3 deskside workstations with SSD's in RAID0 without this problem. Is the install programs a direct download from the Autodesk website or did someone burn a disc and you are using the disc.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 29
Driesdaniels

Hi blair,

I downloaded the 2014 directly from the website but I received the contentcenter files and all the used inventor data ( normaly stored at C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014) in a 2014 folder on CD ( a customer of our company ).

Grtz Dries  

Message 11 of 29
Mark.Downes

Morning all,

I did a scan for proteinrun and found the folder.

Whowa - it contains 33,707 folders, 24 files (size less than 3 Meg total)

Is this a pre-determined workspace for inventor to use?

Mark

Inventor 2014 SP1 (64 Bit)

Build: 222

proteinrun.JPG

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
Message 12 of 29
blair
in reply to: Mark.Downes

Not on any of our systems, we only have a single Proteinrun.xml file on our systems. At it's a single file, not a folder.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 29
mcgyvr

I have this proteinrun folder too..

46Mb 1,961 Files, 13,656 Folders

???? no idea what it is..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 14 of 29
Message 15 of 29
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

I wonder if it has anything to do with custom materials/appearances. We don't use any here, just fishing...

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 29
WHolzwarth

Hmm.

😉 How about some comments from Autodesk?

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 17 of 29
mcgyvr

@Blair wrote:
I wonder if it has anything to do with custom materials/appearances. We don't use any here, just fishing...

yes it "seems" to be.. I just deleted all proteinrun stuff and then restarted Inventor and it came back..

Inside the proteinrun folder it creates a few more.. a few "mgr40***" folders and inside those some "library" folders.. And inside those it stores a PNG image of some of the "custom" I guess... appearances I have defined over the years..

Message 18 of 29
mcgyvr
in reply to: WHolzwarth

@WHolzwarth wrote:

Hmm.

😉 How about some comments from Autodesk?

I just turned on the Bat-Signal. Smiley Wink  They should be showing up shortly. 

Message 19 of 29
kwilson_design

Yup add our company to the protein folder list. We use custom materials and appearances along with predetermined Vault workspaces. Relax guys, it's just Autodesk giving us some protein in our daily diets 🙂

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 20 of 29
Driesdaniels

Hi Blair,

First of all thanks for the huge amount of reactions !

That could be a possibility because I'm forced to use the customized material/colors that the customer gave us. I think this creates the proteinfolder.

On the other side I tried using different software to detect a virus, MalwareBytes. This program detects some virus that the software on our PC's didn't.

Until now the amount of filling memory looks decreased to an acceptable amount.

So opinion now is a combination of customized appereances thats creates the folder and a virus that fill it up a lot !

Grtz Dries

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report