Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 running at a crawl without using many resources

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
TKey_Luttrell
314 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2014 running at a crawl without using many resources

Working on a sketch, which is getting rather large, but its not huge.  and it is reaching a point where every command takes 3-5 seconds to accept.  I checked the task manager and inventor is only using 13% CPU power, and 500MB of memory.  So it seems like inventor is struggling, but not trying to use more system power to do its thinking.  Does anyone know of any settings that might improve the performance?  or other things i might try?

3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 Quad Core

16 GB RAM

4GB nVidia GeForce GTX 760

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: TKey_Luttrell

Is hyperthreading turned on?

So it shows 8 cores using 13% which 8 x 13 (12.5 really) = 100%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
TKey_Luttrell
in reply to: mcgyvr

hyperthreading is on, but the total CPU usage on the system (by all running programs) is 20%.

Message 4 of 5
sam_m
in reply to: TKey_Luttrell

13% means your cpu is maxed out...

i7 is quad core, plus hyperthreading, so 8 cores in process manager.  Inventor is only single-threaded (except for FEA, Studio and idw view generation), so 1 core maxed out is 12.5% (100% / 😎 in process manager.

So, the only way to speed things up is to either increase the cpu clock rate (by upgrading cpu or overclocking) or reduce the load on the cpu, which is the better option.

You've said you're working on a sketch which is getting large.  How complicated is this sketch?  Can you post a screen-grab?  Without wanting to sound rude, but what training have you had?  it's better to have a few smaller sketches than 1 massive complicated one.  By the same aproach, try to pattern features instead of sketch lines.  Just think of all the constraints it's trying to calculate and process in a large sketch - reduce this overhead and it will run better...

Remember, it's not AutoCAD, which can cope with massive complex sketches (as it's basically a drawing package which only needs to think about drawing lines here and there, but not the relationships between those lines) - Inventor deals with parametric sketches, with dimensions and constraints which are all inter-related.  Make your sketches more bite-sized and it will be far happier.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 5
TKey_Luttrell
in reply to: sam_m

did not know about Inventor only making use of one core.  In that case, yeah the sketch is probably getting overly complicated.  Luckily it is done, and needs not get anymore complicated.

TY.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report