Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 registry key error

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jlopez11463
1790 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor 2014 registry key error

Hi

every time I try to create a sketch or create a new project on inventor profesional 2014 an error appears: Registry key HideFileExt has invalid data type, I`m using the software on windows 7. what can I do?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mdavis22569
in reply to: jlopez11463

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Autodesk-Inventor-2014-SP1-problem-registry-key/td-p/... Some suggestions but not a fix .... are you all UTD on patches/SP's

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Cadmanto

Do you have the latest SP's and Hotfixes loaded?

When you loaded this version, did you load it over an existing version or did you do a fresh install?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 12
jlopez11463
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thank you for your solutions, I already have the SP1 and try some of the other things suggested on the forum link to try to fix this, but with no success. I did a fresh instalation on my computer. Appreciate if you have any more ideas.

Message 5 of 12
mdavis22569

what happens if you try it in a default .ipj file from the install?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Cadmanto

I found another thread (  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Autodesk-Inventor-2014-SP1-problem-registry-key/td-p/... ) that spoke to the exact same issue you are having and they suggested contacting

through this website.  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Try it and see what they say.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 12
jlopez11463
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for your posts, during the re-install process a tiny widow appeared saying something about some Hiden files (looks like inventor change something about them on regedit), I modify the windows registry to show me the hiden files and inventor worked. Thank you for all your suggestions. Hope this help someone else that is having the same problem.

Message 8 of 12
jmarchesin

Hi everyone. I got the same problem with "registry key HideFileExt has invalid data type". My windows is 7 (32 bits).
It was working properly and suddenly just stopped to work.
Is there anyone who knows how can I solve it, please?
Thank you since now!

Message 9 of 12

Inventor 2014 works before, right? any change you did after it works for the last time? such as update OS? or install Inventor service pack? could you please follow those steps and try to get your Inventor back? 1. Use anti-virus sofeware to scan your whole computer. 2. if step1doesn't work for you, create a new txt file, copy below words in it and rename it as a reg file(modify its filename extension as .reg), double click this file. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt] "Type"="checkbox" "Text"="@shell32.dll,-30503" "HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001 "RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced" "ValueName"="HideFileExt" "CheckedValue"=dword:00000001 "UncheckedValue"=dword:00000000 "DefaultValue"=dword:00000001 "HelpID"="shell.hlp#51101"
Message 10 of 12

Hi.
Thanks for your reply.

The only thing I remember is that I was getting some conflict with one program called "FLV". I removed it from my pc.
After this Inventor started to give this problem.
I can open it, but when I try to create a?sketch....that message is shown.
?
att
Jeferson r. Marchesin
19-99707-7576

sent from web
Message 11 of 12

After talking with our developer team, we think in most cases, this issue is caused by there was ever such a virus that changed the Windows explorer registry key value types (e.g. to a string type). So, we first suggest you scan your computer using the anti-virus. then, please try to reset below registry key value. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced HideFileExt 0 (DWORD) please let me know if this fix the problem or not.
Message 12 of 12
equvocat

Hi all,

Maiden post here. Was just resolving this for a user of mine earlier, and this is the step we took to rectify the situation:

Please only attempt this if you are familiar with what you are doing in the Registry Editor, and backup before starting on anything!

1) Open up RegEdit and look for HideFileExt under HKEY_USERS->S-1-5-xxxxxxx->Software->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Explorer->Advanced

As the S-1-5-xxxx value varies for user to user, I suggest searching for HideFileExt until a result ends in a similar location to the one described above.

2) HideFileExt should be named as a String value with value=1.

3) Right click on an empty space to the right of the value, and select New->DWord (32-Bit) value.

4) Name the value as HideFileExt2

5) Double-click on HideFileExt2 and set Value data as 1. I left the Base in Hexadecimal selection.

6) Delete HideFileExt and rename HideFileExt2 as HideFileExt.

7) Restart Autodesk and the error message should disappear.

Much thanks to those who suggested on the Registry idea in the first place! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report