Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 "Place" button greyed out

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
gunnar_larsson
1499 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor 2014 "Place" button greyed out

When opening a top assembly I have the "Place button" and can place new items into the assembly.

When I open a subassembly from within the top assembly, the place button is greyed out.

When I open the same subassembly directly, not having the top assembly loaded, the place button is back again.

This is a new fenomenon for 2014 and I cannot figure out why the place button suddenly greyes out.

I do not run Vault client although it was installed. The problem remains after having uninstalled the Vault client.

Please help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: gunnar_larsson
Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

Are you running the latest SP of 2014?

This may be an a known issue.  You might want to check the list under SP 1.0 to see if it is listed.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
mikejones

I assume the sub assembly inside of the top level is not set as a shrinkwrap is it?

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 7
gunnar_larsson
in reply to: mikejones

Ahh, no.

But I had a position rep activated in the subassy.

Case solved. Thanks for Your replies.

Message 6 of 7
SER4

Thanks for the reason why it doesn't work (and therefore the fix)…now can someone give the explanation why we can't insert parts while the assembly is in a positional representation?

Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Vault Pro 2023.4.1 (28.4.20.0); Inventor Pro 2023.4.1 (418).
Message 7 of 7

Hi! In short, this is a limitation in PosRep. When a non-Master PosRep is active, the components' position is overridden. Most of the modeling commands are disabled and any structural change is prohibited. Adaptive is suspended. Also the iam file cannot be saved with non-Master PosRep active. Essentially, any operation which can lead to change in component geometry is blocked. I wish these limitations did not exist though.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report