Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Processor Requirements

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jaydenbroad
558 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2014 Processor Requirements

I would like to update to the 2014 version of Inventor but after checking the system requirements, my laptop may not be able to run the 2014 version.

Some processor types require 2gHz minimum while the majority require 3gHz minimum

The processor in my laptop is a second generation Intel Core I7 Quad-Core which has a normal clock speed of 2gHz but a Turbo Boost speed of 2.9gHz.

I'm worried I'll be 0.1gHz off, is this the case?

Thanks for your time.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
stefaanboel
in reply to: jaydenbroad

No problem there...it's not like Inventor will not install or not be able to run.

All depends on the amount of components, complexity of your models. That's where the processor power is used.

I myself have a 3 year old intel i5 at home, and that one still does it. It just takes some time to startup inventor and load models and calculations...

but why bother. 

Just give it a try! Install next to what you have today and try with a copy of you current models (so you can still switch back if needed!) and you'll notice the difference in speed, if any 😉

best of luck!

If this is the solution, push the solution button Smiley Wink (and maybe some kudos)

Message 3 of 5
jaydenbroad
in reply to: stefaanboel

Thank-you for your help, will try and see how it goes 🙂
Message 4 of 5
LT.Rusty
in reply to: jaydenbroad

My laptop is a Sandy Bridge i7-2630QM, probably quite like yours.  Runs Inventor 2014 just fine.  Some things take a little longer than they do when using the 4770k workstation ... but for the most part it's fine for modeling assemblies and parts and such.

Do be very cautious about temperature, though.  If you're going to be doing any rendering or FEA, make sure you've got an app like CoreTemp running, so you can keep an eye on what the CPU is doing in terms of heat.  Most laptops don't have very good cooling systems, and I've actually burned out a laptop CPU doing FEA before.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
blair
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Most of the time the CPU is the fastest item on/in a laptop. Slow Hard-Drive and limited memory and on-board graphics cards are the issue. I have an AlienWare Mx17 iCore 7 that is now two years old. 16Gb of memory and an Nvidia 680 care with 2 hybrid hard-drives in RAID0. Runs IV, Showcase and Sim-Mech fine.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report