Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Pro stupidly slow all of a sudden

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
icouture
3250 Views, 47 Replies

Inventor 2014 Pro stupidly slow all of a sudden

I have a problem with Inventor pro 2014, whereas it has recently gotten unbearably slow all of a sudden.

It will hang for anywhere between 5 seconds and 2-3 minutes whenever I right click a part in an assembly, whenever I try to run a New or Save and Replace command, whenever I try and move an unconstrained part in an assembly. Basically, it'll hang just about everytime I try and do something with it. The rest of the computer remains responsive and snappy while Inventor chugs away d

I have so far taken the steps to install SP1, hoping it would fix the issue. It stopped doing it for a day or two, then went right back to being slow as heck.

I checked my graphics card driver and saw that it was not certified with Inventor, so I downloaded and installed the correct one. That fixed the issue for another day or two then it came right back.

My IT department has run every test imaginable on my computer and came up with nothing. I'm guessing they are right seeing as the rest of the computer functions perfectly well.

I'm at my wits end, this is costing me precious time, for every 30 second operation I'm losing up to 3 minutes watching the program hang.

Am I the only one having this problem?

Computer specs:

i7-2600 @ 3.4Ghz

16GB RAM

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

nVidia Quadro FX3800 running on 307.45 driver downloaded off this very website.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
CCarreiras
in reply to: icouture

Hi!

This happens always , or only in some parts and assemblies?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 48
icouture
in reply to: CCarreiras

Sometimes restarting the application will make it stop, but otherwise, it always happens.
Message 4 of 48
edonline69

You are not the only one. I have just upgraded from 2012 to 2014 last week and I am experiencing the identical issue. I hope a better solution will be posted soon. Loosing a lot of time.

WIN 9 Pro

32 BG Ram

Intel  Xeon 3.2 GHz

NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Message 5 of 48
yannick3
in reply to: edonline69

Hi

I use 2014 since RTM release and I've seen no performance degradation

You can try to set your hardware setting to performance, maybe this will help

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 6 of 48
stephengibson76

try a different project, I have had 5 second freezes, every 20 seconds or so because the project was looking for something that either didnt exist or had moved

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 7 of 48
icouture
in reply to: stephengibson76

It does not make any difference. I have already tried multiple projets and all exhibit the same behaviour. It'll sometimes go away on its own then slowly come back as I work through the day. Sometimes restarting Inventor will fix it, other times it won't.
Message 8 of 48
Dickerson2012

I agree. IV2014 Professional hangs alot, Why?

Message 9 of 48
icouture
in reply to: Dickerson2012

I have just installed update 1 for SP1, can't hurt to try.
Message 10 of 48
ccoomes
in reply to: Dickerson2012

We have had something similar here when saving an excel file to update an assembly and parts.

What should take 30 seconds, takes about 15 minutes.  Sometimes the problem does not even happen...

It turned out to be a conflict with our Anti-Virus Software and IV 2014 on that machine.  Turn it off and it IV 2014 Works as it should and at normal speed.

HOWEVER, on a similar machine we have had no problems with the SAME anti-virus software and smae IV2014 set-up.

Just a suggestion, but try turning your Antivirus off (At your own risk of course) and see if the problem persists or if it goes away...

Message 11 of 48
edonline69
in reply to: ccoomes

I have been trying to figure out a pattern to this issue but to not avail.

I've disable my Norton anti-virus which help for about 15 minutes. Then the lags came back.

My project file is fine.

The only odd thing I can point out is watching my task Manager under performance tab my CPU's are acting funny. I did have a couple of early morning meassages that the CPU what running hard.

When Inventor lags, only 1 (sometimes 2) of my 12 CPU's is maxed out while the others are sitting idle. I have no other applications or services adding to this.

Any thoughts?

Message 12 of 48
blair

Are the files stored on the local machine or on a server. If it's on the server, try copying files to the local machine and test run it locally.

Try a system re-boot, look for other applications hogging memory. On the reboot it wouldn't hurt to open the case and see if your machine needs to be "blown-out" If a CPU is overheating it will throttle-back to reduce heat. Also check that all the memory boards are properly seated along with the graphics card and it's connections.

You should also be able to put exlusions in your Anti-Virus to ignore Inventor files: *.ipt, *.iam, *.idw and *.ipn.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 48
icouture
in reply to: blair

Everything suggested so far has been tried after I read or had been tried before. None if it fixes my issue.

It's just taken me 15 minutes to insert 1 bolt.
Message 14 of 48
blair

Check that you don't have a sick constraint, IV2014 now has a show sick constraints: Assembly Tab>Relationships>Show Sick Relationships. Also look for a bad sketch on a part in an assembly that might be referencing a part in another assembly that in this case is not used in this assembly.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 48
icouture
in reply to: blair

I fix any and all sick constraints as they happen, I never leave them there. That's not the problem either. Thanks still.

Message 16 of 48
kstate92

Have you tried anything like Process Explorer?  It might give some insight as to what is taking all the cycles.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 17 of 48
blair
in reply to: kstate92

You might consider using the Microsoft Processor Affinity utility to assign certain application to other processors allowing Inventor to have processors all to it'self. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/change-the-processor-affinity-setting-in-windows...

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 48
icouture

Tried everything suggested thus far, nothing works. I'm even on a fresh install, it keeps locking up out of the blue. One day it'll be fine all day, and the next I have to kill the process every 5 minutes because it's preventing me from doing any work.

This is getting quite aggravating.

Message 19 of 48
Lancasterm

Are you using any 3D connexion device?

Message 20 of 48
icouture
in reply to: Lancasterm

No I am not. I truly wish it was that simple, thank you still.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report