Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 PDF printing issues

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MatthiasGr
1157 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 2014 PDF printing issues

Hi,

I have a big problem with printing an AutoCAD DWG opened with Inventor and then printing to PDF.

Attached you will find a sample drawing. Open this drawing in Inventor 2014 and save as PDF or export to PDF.

The resulting PDF file is a joke.

Any ideas how I can configure the internal PDF printer in Inventor.

When I print to PDF with FreePDF or PDF Creator everthing is fine.

Only when i use the internal PDF printer i get this unusual result.

Checked with RTM, with SP1 (all Updates) and SP2 (with Hotfix INV18202)

Matthias

MatthiasG
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rhasell
in reply to: MatthiasGr

Hi

I ran a few tests of my own, and it definately linked to the font type (True type fonts etc). So I guess with the unusual font being used, an external PDF printer is better.

I am sure the Masters on the forum will be able to shed some light on it, but I have never even heard of the font being used. I did change the font style to standard, and it printed from Inventor to PDF perfectly.  (Note, my AutoCAD skills are limited)

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 8
MatthiasGr
in reply to: rhasell

Hi Reg,

Thanks for testing. The drawing is an standard Mechanical drawing without any customization. Based on the standard template. Border and title block are also standard delivered by Autodesk. The fonts were used are standard Autodesk fonts available for Mechanical and also for Inventor. This means, the fonts are exactly the same. We run into this issue only with AutoCAD drawings.

The background is very simple. The customer starts with Inventor and Vault. They have ~60.000 Mechanical drawings which must be archived as PDF. So someone create a small App which simlpy load the drawings in Inventor and save them as PDF to archive this PDFs in Vault.

It seems, this was the simplest way to do this.

1. Inventor has the build in functionality.

2. No AutoCAD Mecanical is needed.

3. No additional, external PDF printer is need.

But as everybody can see, this PDFs are useless.

So maybe someone can shed a light on me.

Especially the Autodesk gurus are welcome

MatthiasG
Message 4 of 8
blair

Check your system fonts if the font exists: Start>Control Panel>Fonts: This font doesn't show up on my system either. Haven't worked with AutoCAD for a number of years now but I suspect that it might be a "packaged font" within AutoCAD and not a true Windows True-Type Font. As soon as you use the Export to PDF within Inventor it is looking for a Windows True-Type Font and thus it hick-ups on the font. PDF printers such at PDF Writer, use a Raster Based system and are able to export (almost like a screen capture). Remember that AutoCAD for a number of their fonts still harken base to DOS days.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
MatthiasGr
in reply to: blair

Hi Blair,

Thanks, I checked the fonts, they are available and the were used.

Also check the mapping (FontMapper.xml) in Inventor, it is correct.

In the meantime I do some more investigation.

It seems, that when the text is stretched or placed between two points in AutoCAD, the text gets corrupted while saving to PDF with the internal PDF printer. Extenal PDF printers have no problems.

There are some text which used the same style and font.

The result is correct when the text stretch factor is 1.0

But when the text stretch factor is smaller, like 0,85 or placed between 2 points the text is corrupted.

MatthiasG
Message 6 of 8
blair

Do you get the same problem when printing to a Windows based printer when the text is stretched?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 8
bob_holland
in reply to: blair

et al,

I am replicating your results.

I am bringing this internal and will be sending it to our development staff.

Have a great holiday weekend.

FYI

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 8 of 8
MatthiasGr
in reply to: bob_holland

Hi Bob,

in the meantime I open a support request (09760492)

Thanks for attention.

@Blair

Hi Blair,

All other printers works fine, no problems

Thanks to all

MatthiasG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report