4055 Views, 25 Replies
12-15-2012 04:08 AM

Inventor 2014 will support Linux?

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 2 of 26 (4,039 Views)

Re: Inventor 2014 Linux?

12-15-2012 09:00 AM in reply to: ehrgangm

Don't hold your breath waiting. Linux accounts for what percentage of the O/S in the business world?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up2 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
erlogproductions
Message 3 of 26 (3,943 Views)

12-21-2012 08:33 AM in reply to: blair

on the other hand the most powerful computers in the world run Linux

It would be great to have Inventor run on Linux.

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 4 of 26 (3,937 Views)

12-21-2012 08:41 AM in reply to: erlogproductions

How many sit on or beside desk-tops?

The three most expensive vehicle, combined have less the 50Km on them and haven't been driven for 20 years and are sitting parked out in the open ready for anyone to take for a drive or spin but yet in 20 years no one has.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Win7-64
*Pro
ampster
Message 5 of 26 (3,931 Views)

12-21-2012 08:50 AM in reply to: blair

Win8 will become the 4th vehicle in the parking lot.

Besides all of the nay say, here's another vote/wish/whatever that Autodesk works on Linux ports for more than what they've done so far, Inventor + AutoCAD should be ported over.

erlogproductions
Message 6 of 26 (3,924 Views)

12-21-2012 08:57 AM in reply to: blair

actually yes, there are tower servers that only support server operating systems. 

Now adays they call them desktop supercomputers. 2 or 4 processors over 1TB of memory up to 4 GPU's or MIC (Quadro, Tesla, VGX, FirePro, Xeon Phi)

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 7 of 26 (3,922 Views)

12-21-2012 09:04 AM in reply to: erlogproductions

Not trying to get picky, but how many or what percentage of desk-tops run Linux. When we design and build something, before we go to the expense, when check and see what the possible sales will be.

It's not like in the movies of "Build it and they will come". There are alot more Apple O/S systems out there and you are finally seeing Autodesk ported over.

Win7-64
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 8 of 26 (3,902 Views)

12-21-2012 11:23 AM in reply to: blair

Indeed.  Linux adoption has many different hurdles to overcome, like drivers.  Its one of the biggest gripes I hear from various harware geeks who are otherwise obsessively proponents of the OS.  One of them summed up the use of Linux rather nicely: best for those who do nothing, or those who want to do everything.  The vast majority of engineering work environments fall into the middle ground where Windows and Mac (kind of) have the most benefits.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

T8R
T8R
Message 9 of 26 (2,391 Views)

11-26-2013 03:37 PM in reply to: dgorsman

The ONLY reason that Linux is not the primary operating system on my work computer is that Autocad and Inventor are not available. Everything else I use runs linux. If I want to work from home, I have to run a virtual machine or dual boot if the drawing will be memory intensive, which gets annoying.

To argue market share of linux machines is assenine at best, when the availability of professional software is the only thing getting in the way of adopting linux for office environments.

Also - if business software was readily available - selling management on an OS that is more stable, more secure and free wouldn't exactly require a spreadsheet or pie chart. For that matter, we could convert all our drafting machines to linux even if the 'business types' stuck with windows or mac until it was time to upgrade.

It will be faster to teach a manager or salesmen to check e-mail and open a web browser in linux than gut the user interface on Windows 8. 

It seems more like software companies simply won't be bothered. As long as linux users don't have another viable option, there is no risk of losing your business. As soon as a worthy competitor offers it though, they'll all jump on the band-wagon before the next major release.

This is logical, but dissapointing. It is also an opportunity to be the first to lead the way, and carve out a niche with linux users before a competitor does. If I have to learn solid works and pay minions to redraw legacy drawings because they ported to linux first, there is little chance I'll ever come back to autodesk. On the other hand, there is a good chance Solid-Works users feel the same way.

*Expert Elite*
LT.Rusty
Message 10 of 26 (2,358 Views)

11-27-2013 01:47 PM in reply to: T8R

T8R wrote:

The ONLY reason that Linux is not the primary operating system on my work computer is that Autocad and Inventor are not available. Everything else I use runs linux. If I want to work from home, I have to run a virtual machine or dual boot if the drawing will be memory intensive, which gets annoying.

To argue market share of linux machines is assenine at best, when the availability of professional software is the only thing getting in the way of adopting linux for office environments.

Also - if business software was readily available - selling management on an OS that is more stable, more secure and free wouldn't exactly require a spreadsheet or pie chart. For that matter, we could convert all our drafting machines to linux even if the 'business types' stuck with windows or mac until it was time to upgrade.

It will be faster to teach a manager or salesmen to check e-mail and open a web browser in linux than gut the user interface on Windows 8. 

It seems more like software companies simply won't be bothered. As long as linux users don't have another viable option, there is no risk of losing your business. As soon as a worthy competitor offers it though, they'll all jump on the band-wagon before the next major release.

This is logical, but dissapointing. It is also an opportunity to be the first to lead the way, and carve out a niche with linux users before a competitor does. If I have to learn solid works and pay minions to redraw legacy drawings because they ported to linux first, there is little chance I'll ever come back to autodesk. On the other hand, there is a good chance Solid-Works users feel the same way.

Okay, since talking market share is asinine, let's talk driver support.

Is there a Linux driver available for your printer?  The answer is probably yes.

Was that driver made by HP (or Brother, Epson, Canon, Ricoh, Konica-Minolta, etc.)?  The answer is ... no.

So, who made it, your CFO will ask.

This is the part where you tell him that the driver was made by some neckbeard living in his mom's basement, and the driver has not been tested or approved by the printer's manufacturer, and it hasn't been verified by any sort of QC team.  Oh - the scanner and fax aren't actually supported yet, but the neckbeard (his name is dRaGoNfArT, by the way) is planning on adding that in the next release.  Maybe the one after that.

So the CFO nods sagely, and then asks about warrantee support.  Right now, you see, when he has a problem with his printer drivers, he can have a service rep from HP on-site within one hour (no kidding - that's in our service contract!) to fix it for him.  Will dRaGoNfArT be able to provide this same level of service?

Well, no, you say.  He lives somewhere in Alabama in his mom's basement, and doesn't have a car.  Or maybe it was Istanbul?  No, wait, it might have been Tbilisi.  But no, he's not going to be here on-site within an hour to fix your problem.

This is the part where the CFO's face turns really red, and he tells you to get out of his office and never come back again.

Edit to add:  ... and this was all before you even got the chance to talk about having to compile source code yourself!

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013, 2014, 2015

Work: Dell Precision T1600 (Xeon E3-1280 / 16GB / 512 GB SSD / 250 GB (Internal) / 1 TB (External) / Quadro 600)
Home: i7-4770k / ASUS Z87-Pro / 16GB / 250 GB SSD / 1 TB HDD / 3 TB USB3 HDD / Radeon R9-270X 4GB
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P755-S5269 (i7-2630QM / 8 GB / 250 GB SSD / 750 GB HDD / GT540M)

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.