Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Failing while Idle

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
AnchorChain
646 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor 2014 Failing while Idle

I am having an issue with my Inventor 2014 failing, going non-responsive, while idle.  I have the program open on my desktop only.  There are no files open at all.  All of the sudden my Inventor screen will go black leaving the Inventor window bar at the top of the screen with my "I" in the top left but nothing else. At first I can still access other programs I have open such as AutoCAD or Outlook but I soon loose those because my computer locks up.  I am running windows 8 and noticed that I could still get to my Start screen so I did and then that froze too.

My computer is brand new with Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit, 16GB ram, 2GB NVIDIA video card running Inventor 2014 Ultimate package.

The only possible issue is my video card is not certified by Autodesk for use with Inventor.  I have not seen any issues or tileing with my graphics with using inventor at all.  Could this be the culprit?  I have a certified video card that I can install but it's only a 1GB card versus my current 2GB.

Thanks,

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor 2014 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: AnchorChain

Make sure you have installed all the SP's and Hotfixes for your product. There is a link at the bottom of the screen to take you to the product support page. Don't rely on the update within Inventor to keep your product up to date.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
AnchorChain

All up to date now.  Just loaded update 2 for SP1.  Hopefully this does it.  Otherwise, we're going to swap out graphics cards next.

Thanks,

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor 2014 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Message 4 of 9
mcgyvr

usually a good idea to update your graphics card drivers too.. Even with "new" computers the graphics card driver could be old. 

I always recommend installing the lastest driver from the manufacturers website and to forget about the Inventor certified list..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 9
blair

When Autodesk switch Inventor from OpenGL to DirectX, the need for ADSK certified drivers when away to the point that ADSK no longer tests and certifies all drivers and cards for Inventor. All that is required now is Microsoft Certified drivers. So as long as you stick with the Microsoft certified drivers you will be fine.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 9
AnchorChain
in reply to: blair

Ok. I've downloaded the latest driver for my video card, NVIDIA GeForce GT 630.  Going to give this a try and see what happens.

Thanks,

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor 2014 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Message 7 of 9
DeerSpotter

Try Setting Affinity on the software to a higher setting and see what happens.

PowerShell can do this task for you Get Affinity: PowerShell "Get-Process app | Select-Object ProcessorAffinity" Set Affinity: PowerShell "$Process = Get-Process app; $Process.ProcessorAffinity=255" Example: (8 Core Processor) Core A = 1 = 00000001 Core B = 2 = 00000010 Core C = 4 = 00000100 Core D = 6 = 00001000 Core E = 8 = 00010000 Core F = 16 = 00100000 Core G = 32 = 01000000 Core H = 64 = 10000000 Just add the decimal values together for which core you want to use. 255 = All 8 cores. Example Output: C:\>PowerShell "Get-Process notepad++ | Select-Object ProcessorAffinity" ProcessorAffinity ----------------- 255 C:\>PowerShell "$Process = Get-Process notepad++; $Process.ProcessorAffinity=13" C:\>PowerShell "Get-Process notepad++ | Select-Object ProcessorAffinity" ProcessorAffinity ----------------- 13 C:\>PowerShell "$Process = Get-Process notepad++; $Process.ProcessorAffinity=255" C:\> Source: Here is a nicely detailed post on how to change a process's affinity: http://www.energizedtech.com/2010/07/powershell-setting-processor-a.html

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
..........................................................................................................................

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 8 of 9
AnchorChain
in reply to: DeerSpotter

Yeah, this is a company computer so there will be no tampering with the program code as it seems you are suggesting.  Thanks for the suggestion though, I guess.

Thanks,

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor 2014 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Message 9 of 9
DeerSpotter

Well if you dont want to Go crazy and do the permenant modification.

Do a temp. one. 

Go to: 

1. Press: Ctrl Shift Esc

2. Right Click on Inventor.

3. Go to Process

4. Right click on process that is highlighted.

5. Set Affinity

6. Make sure all your cores are selected.

7. Right click again

8. Set Priority

9. Set it to above normal or high. (dont do realtime) 

Good Luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

See My LinkedIn Profile

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report