Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 - Export Material Library As List

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
allee
4352 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor 2014 - Export Material Library As List

In Inventor 2014, is it possible to export a list of all of the materials in a given material library..? As text, or into Excel, or something similar?

I have a material library in Inventor 2014 containing lots of custom defined materials. I would like to create a master list that I can give to someone who isn't using Inventor. The only property that I really need to export is the material name, e.g.' CSA G40.21-44W'.

In this case, engineering is trying to coordinate better with purchasing, by making sure that materials are specified in the same way in both departments.

So far the only methods I have found to do this are to screenshot the opened material library window... Or hand type. Both of which can be done, but it would be nice if there was an easier way.

Thanks!

Al

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
4donwan4
in reply to: allee

At this time there is not a way to export this as you would like. This is just a limitation at this time. If you would like to enter a wish list item asking for this to be considered as an enhancement please use the following link.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Don

Message 3 of 7
allee
in reply to: 4donwan4

Ok Don, will do.

Thanks!

Al

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Following up on this. Not sure is this is now available in 2015, but we're still on 2013 and the "workaround" was this:

Create a new assembly and add virtual components to it. Depending on how large your database is this may be several hundred. Then assign each component a material under Bill of Materials.

You can then bring this into a Parts List in a drawing, then export that Parts List to Excel.

Not exactly a "solution" but something that can work in a pinch

10-28-2014 12-28-31 PM.jpg

10-28-2014 1-52-37 PM.jpg

10-28-2014 1-53-35 PM.jpg

Message 5 of 7
Boorda

I needed the same feature so I wrote a small macro to save the info to a text file.
Here it is in case anyone else finds it usefull. I attached a print out of the InventorMaterial Library as an example.

Public Sub ExportMaterialNames()
     'This sub will print out the names of all materials and their related assets in the active material library to a text file.

Dim InvApp As Inventor.Application, AML As AssetLibrary, cat As AssetCategory, ma As MaterialAsset

'Get the Inventor Application object.
     Set InvApp = ThisApplication

'Get the Active Material Library.
     Set AML = InvApp.ActiveMaterialLibrary

'Setup the stream writer.
     Dim tFile As FileSystemObject, SW As TextStream, tFilePath As String
     Set tFile = New FileSystemObject
     tFilePath = "C:\Material Library - " & AML.DisplayName & ".txt"
     Set SW = tFile.CreateTextFile(tFilePath, True)

'Print to text file.
     SW.WriteLine "#############################################################################################################################"
     SW.WriteLine "Library Display Name: " & AML.DisplayName
     SW.WriteLine "Library Internal Name: " & AML.InternalName
     SW.WriteLine "Library is Read-Only: " & AML.IsReadOnly
     SW.WriteLine "Category Count: " & AML.MaterialAssetCategories.count
     SW.WriteLine "Material Count: " & AML.MaterialAssets.count
     SW.WriteLine "Appearance Count: " & AML.AppearanceAssets.count
     SW.WriteLine "Physical Properties Count: " & AML.PhysicalAssets.count
     SW.WriteLine "Library Location: " & AML.FullFileName
     SW.WriteLine "#############################################################################################################################"
          For Each cat In AML.MaterialAssetCategories
               SW.WriteLine "-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
               SW.WriteLine "Category: " & cat.DisplayName
               SW.WriteLine "-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

For Each ma In cat.Assets
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & "Material Name: " & ma.DisplayName
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & "Internal Name: " & ma.Name
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & "-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & "Linked Appearance Asset: " & ma.AppearanceAsset.DisplayName
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Appearance Asset Category: " & ma.AppearanceAsset.CategoryName
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Appearance Asset Internal Name: " & ma.AppearanceAsset.Name
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Appearance Asset Has Texture: " & ma.AppearanceAsset.HasTexture
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Appearance Asset Is Read-Only: " & ma.AppearanceAsset.IsReadOnly
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Appearance Asset Is Used: " & ma.AppearanceAsset.IsUsed
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & "-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & "Linked Physical Asset: " & ma.PhysicalPropertiesAsset.DisplayName
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Physical Asset Category: " & ma.PhysicalPropertiesAsset.CategoryName
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Physical Asset Internal Name: " & ma.PhysicalPropertiesAsset.Name
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Appearance Asset Has Texture: " & ma.PhysicalPropertiesAsset.HasTexture
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Appearance Asset Is Read-Only: " & ma.PhysicalPropertiesAsset.IsReadOnly
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Appearance Asset Is Used: " & ma.PhysicalPropertiesAsset.IsUsed
                    SW.WriteLine vbTab & "---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
               Next

Next
     SW.Close
     MsgBox ("Created Material Library file:" & vbCrLf & tFilePath)
End Sub

Automation is key!
Message 6 of 7
BromanSillito

I was able to export my material list by creating an excel spreadsheet called "Material" in my current Project directory and then using the following iLogic rule:

MultiValue.List("PART_MATERIAL") = iProperties.Materials
iProperties.Material=PART_MATERIAL
GoExcel.CellValues("Material.xls", "Sheet1", "A2", "A1000") = MultiValue.List("PART_MATERIAL")

The only hitch was that for some reason it made me save a copy of the "Material" spreadsheet when I ran it, but the copy had all of the materials in it, so it got the job done!

Message 7 of 7

.. and vote here at ideas:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/export-and-import-materials-library-with-excel/idi-p/6...

Can't understand why it hasn't got more votes, this is something everybody should wish for.

regards Silvia

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report