Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Drawing Line Weight

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
EngineerMickeyMouse
10559 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor 2014 Drawing Line Weight

Hi everyone,

I use A1 sheet for creating drawings. As for A1 all line weights are set correctly. Since it is needed mentioned drawings are printed to A3 sheet. The problem is Inventor changes line weight so in result I have printed A1 drawing on A3 sheet which is "minimized" as I wanted but also "minimazed" to A3 are line weights. I want these line weights to stay as requested for A1.

How can I manage this?

Best regards,

EMM

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Welcome to the forum.

You have to create the needed line weights in the styles library.  Than on each of these A1 and A3 sheets, change the specific line weights needed to these newly created line styles.  Not to mention when you create them in the styles you need to save them to the library.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 15

Thanks for quick reply.

As far I cannot understand you. Please be more precise. I have added in Styles Editor Layers few more layers with line weights assigned. On drawing border and title block were assigned to those layers. Sheet size is A1, but I am printing it on A3, and I would like to have printed line weight like to like I set them in Layers. Please reconcile.

Message 4 of 15
blair
in reply to: EngineerMickeyMouse

Sounds like you need to increase the size of your Line Thickness in the Style Manager for your Template for the A1 because of the "compression/scale factor" that's taking place to fit the drawing on the smaller output size. Inventor doesn't hold the line-width size when you print the drawing to a smaller sheet size.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 15

You need to go here to the styles and create a new layer style in each of the templates.

Are you saying you have done this already?

styles.jpg

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 15

Cadmanto, yes ofcourse I did.

Blair, exactly, you caught what I am fighting with - seriosuly is there no option? Inventor seems to be so powerful...

Message 7 of 15
blair

What you are doing is incorrect. The line weight is set for the drawing at 1:1 scale. Think back to the days of plotters and using pens. If you selected a pen of 0.060mm for a line color or layer and it contained text. You then plotted the drawing to a 1:2 scale it would still use the 0.060mm pen and all you would have is a black ink blob. With the change to Laser and Inkjet type printers, the line weight is calculated in Inventor or Acad and then the Windows print program scales down all the line weights by the overall scale factor used for the drawing. You will need to create a drawing template with scaled up line weights if you wish for this outcome. So if you are printing at 1/2 scale, your line-weights will need to be 2X.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 15
blair

What you are now fighting is a Windows printing environment issue not an Inventor issue. Since Windows 3.0 Microsoft now tells the software companies how they must output their printing.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 15
EngineerMickeyMouse
in reply to: blair

Blair, thx, continuing, maybe you could also advise me how it is in Inventor when I want to scale font? Exactly RomanT. It doesnt get fatter if I change its lineweight. Why cant it works like to like Autocad?

Message 10 of 15
blair

Because a font is a font, it's controlled by the Font. A thicker font would then be a Bold and not regular. AutoCAD still harkens back to the Dos days and pen plotters. I've used so little AutoCAD since switching to Inventor (over 14 years ago), I can barely spell AutoCAD let alone work with it anymore.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 15
EngineerMickeyMouse

Great thx Blair, I like to be clear with it.

As far you are smart with Inventor, maybe I could ask you to help me with this.

Please take a look at attached printscreen from drawing.

I would like to make user symbol of section symbol : green circled part have to be fixed, but red circled part should move on demended dimension V which is variable. I would like to insert this symbol on sheet and then (not in definition edit) change dimension V as required. The best would be just pick up with mouse red circled part and slip it off. Is it possible in Inventor?

Message 12 of 15
blair

You could make a custom symbol. The problem is the stock section symbol is called in for in the Standard Style you are using. ANSI or ISO.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 15

What do you mean? Put it in another words...

Message 14 of 15
blair

The standard symbols that you get in Inventor when creating drawings and section views are based on drawing standards such as ANSI for North America and ISO and DIN standards for Europe and Japan. So these and automatically inserted when you create drawings with your drawing standards selected. You can create new Icons such as the shape you circled in you post and insert these into your drawing. I don't think you can get custom icons to automatically insert into the drawing. I've never played with this aspect since we use the ANSI standard for our drawings.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 15
EngineerMickeyMouse

Agree, thus these Standards are fixed I was asking about symbol only. Is action with variable dimension feasible?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report