Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Crashes

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
smistbj
2054 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor 2014 Crashes

I just downloaded and installed the student version of Inventor 2014. It installed fine, but whenever I try to do anything, it crashes. This happens when I try to open a new drawing or an existing one and also happens when I click options in the drop-down menu. It never generates an error report, just closes. I'm on a Lenovo laptop running Windows 7 with an i7 processor and Nvidia Geforce GTX660M graphics card. Solidworks 2013 runs fine so I don't think it's hardware related. Help?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: smistbj

Did you install with anti-virus and UAC turned off?

Might try a Repair install first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clean uninstall.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617

Clean Install
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17955581&linkID=9240617

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
smistbj
in reply to: JDMather

Also, something I just discovered: Without changing anything, it works fine if I run as an administrator.

Message 4 of 15
blair

Inventor requires at least a Power-User privileged but Administrative level is preferred.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 15
smistbj
in reply to: blair

I am an administrator on my computer, but it still crashes unless I actually right click Inventor and click "Run as Administrator."

Message 6 of 15
blair

Sounds like you weren't logged in as Admin and had the UAC slider set to it's lowest position on the install of IV.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 15
abautist

Im having a similar problem. My error message says: VBA failed to initialize properly. Please restart inventor.

I have restarted my laptop open Inventor as an administrator and still the same message. Can anyone help?

Message 8 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: abautist

You haven't answered the questions posted above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
blair

You can log in as Admin and set the UAS slider to it's lowest setting and try a repair of Inventor. If this fails then a unistall and re-install of IV being logged in as Admin and the UAC slider to it's lowest setting

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 15
smistbj

Sorry, I didn't realize I hadn't answered. When I installed it I had not antivirus running, but the UAC slider was not all the way down. I did just set the UAC slider all the way down, rebooted, and tried a repair. It still crashed, but this time I got an error report that is attached to this post.

Message 11 of 15
smistbj

Also, another development. After chaning the UAC slider and repairing, right click and run as administrator no longer works, it insted crashes and produces the same error report. Thanks to everyone for the help so far, and sorry for missing some of the questions.

Message 12 of 15
gsingham

I'm having the identical issue, did you find any fix to this? Inventor still crashes upon the opening or creation of any files as well as trying to open system options. I did a full reinstall with the UAS slider at the bottom and I am an administrator on my computer (personal laptop). It's the student version of 2014 however, any ideas?

Message 13 of 15
gsingham
in reply to: gsingham

For anyone wondering, I semi-solved the issue. If i forced inventor to run using integrated graphics rather than the Nvidia GPU, it runs fine now. Kind of unfortunate since you can't utilize the Nvidia GPU, but at least it works now.

Message 14 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: gsingham

@gsingham wrote:

For anyone wondering, I semi-solved the issue. If i forced inventor to run using integrated graphics rather than the Nvidia GPU, it runs fine now. Kind of unfortunate since you can't utilize the Nvidia GPU, but at least it works now.

There have been several (Autodesk) posts on this topic (integrated graphics rather than nVidia) here in the last two weeks.  I didn't really pay attention as I'm not experiencing that problem on my laptop, but it might be worth the time to check them out.

And be sure to install Service Pack1 and Update 1.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Update-1-for-Inventor-2014-Service-Pack-1-has-been-re...

I just searched and saw several others, but I'm having trouble with slow connection.

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
mailtodare_4u

Run with admin privilege worked for me too. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report