Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Crashes When Editing A Part In An Assembly

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
EABell
420 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 2014 Crashes When Editing A Part In An Assembly

The proablem is when I try to edit a part within an assembly and I click on  a face and choose new sketch (to modify the part), Inventor 2014 crashes!  This happens every time I try to do it. This is a brand new installation and I am awaiting my authorization code.  Could this have anythng to do with it?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mdavis22569
in reply to: EABell

Have you installed the Service Pack 1 and the 4 Updates? That will probably help with the issue... If that doesn't ..after you install of the updates ..attach the model for people to see if that's the issue

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
EABell
in reply to: mdavis22569

Service Pack One had been installed prior to the problem.  I could only find three updates for 2014 and I downloaded and installed them.  The problem still exists.  In fact the problem occurs in any assembly.  Should I attach the .iam and .ipt using the attachment  button?  Also, if there is indeed a fourth update, where can I find it?

Thanks,

Ed

Message 4 of 8
EABell

I just discovered something interesting.  If I souble click on the part I want to modify in my assembly then right click somewhere off the part and choose new sketch and then click on the surface I want to sketch it doesn't crash.  The original crashes occured when I opend the part, clicked on the surface I want to sketcch then chose new sketch from the glyph or whatever you call it that pops up.

Message 5 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Did you submit the crash report when it happens? If yes, please send me an email so I can look for the report.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8
EABell

Here is my latest update after I forced a crash this morning.  This is what I reported back to AutoDesk when prompted for a crash report.

Refer to CER's 94929347, 94930000 & 94777885.  This is what is happening and I can repeat it anhytime I like:

1. In an assembly double click on a part.
2. Click on a face you want to sketch for a new featujre.
3. From the circular field of options that appears click new sketch.
4. Inventor crashes.

The work around that works everytime is:

1. In an assembly double click on a part.
2. Right click in space off the part.
3 Choose new sketch from the dorp  down box NOT the circular field.
4.Click on  surface you want to sketch.
5. Go on your merry way.

Message 7 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! I have located the crash reports you submitted. This seems to be a known issue that the engineering team is trying to resolve. Could you send me an email (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com) and I would like to follow up with you with some specifics?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8
EABell
in reply to: johnsonshiue

My hat is off to AutoDesk!  I got an email from them referencing the CER numbers regarding this issue and telling me that they were solved in Service Pack 2 which I downloaded and installed.  I went through my crash routine and could not force the crash.  Problem solved.  Thank you again.

I started using Inventor with Release 5.0 and stopped upgrading after Release 2009.  I went to 2014 only after my faithful XP machine went the way to the buffalo and I had to upgrade to a Windows 7 machine.  The kind of service and support AutoDesk has thus far provided takes some of the hurt out of the sting the hardware and software upgrades gave my wallet.  Thank you again AutoDesk.

Ed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report