Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INVENTOR 2014 - Can you recover files post crash?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
samstreet101
16234 Views, 6 Replies

INVENTOR 2014 - Can you recover files post crash?

Pretty hacked off right now.

This is not the first time I've had Inventor crash on me whilst working on a drawing and lost everything. First thing is first...can you recover a file after a crash? I can't seem to find a recovery option anywhere.

Secondly, when opening a saved drawing file after it has crashed it seems to erase all the title block information and revert to a default template. Why is this?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,
In every Inventor Project you have an "Old Version" folder.
In there Inventor saves your last "SAVE" . Look there for your files.
Dan
Message 3 of 7
danzaldua
in reply to: samstreet101

I'm having the same problem but with Inventor 2013.  Has anyone come up with a solution?

Message 4 of 7
blair
in reply to: danzaldua

If not in the "Old Versions" directory as posted, you should be able to restore from a back-up from the previous night, or when every your system does backups. We back up our full network every night with a complete backup, not an incremental backup. On top of that, my workstation backs up all my Inventor files when it does it owns daily full backup and I have all my Inventor work and office files backup up to a USB drive that I use to keep my home office current with my work office.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
danzaldua
in reply to: blair

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  I'm wanting to know what is actually causing this to happen and how to avoid it.  I'm waiting on our IT department to get me the last back-up which is done over night on a daily basis.  If this had happened at the end of the day, I would have lost a whole days worth of work.  I guess I'm "lucky" it happened first thing this morning.

I have my "old versions to keep on save" option set at 5 but I can't find any old versions....What's up with that?

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 7
blair
in reply to: danzaldua

Make sure you are current on all the SP's and Hot-fixes for your version of Inventor. Don't rely on the automatic updates. Save your work on a regular basis, reduces crashes. Working in a IAM and creating new parts without doing the initial save as soon as you create a new part really increases the instability of Inventor. I save my work about every 20 minutes. A simple Ctl^S from the keyboard is all that's needed. If I get one crash a month it would be a bad month.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 7
blair
in reply to: blair

I also do a cold boot of my workstation at least once a month as well.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report