Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Application Options (middle school computer lab)

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
wrikard
2047 Views, 12 Replies

Inventor 2014 Application Options (middle school computer lab)

Autodesk Inventor 2014 (Help?)

We have just had all CPU's re-imaged in my lab...now running Windows 7 on pretty fast Hardware.

My problem:

There are several graphics issues that do not resolve unless I go into Tools -> Application Options -> Hardware ->and make a graphics change to Compatibility.   Click Apply -> Close, then open a new file for changes to take place. 

When my kids come back the next day, all of their settings have reverted back and we must painfully walk through the process again.  Otherwise there are a ton of graphic glitches throughout that make the program unusable for my kids.

**Note:  My Teacher-only classroom computer does not revert back when I log off and then log back in.  Could this have something to do with Administrator rights?

Any thoughts?

***In a nutshell - I would like to standardize and set the Application Options for my students.  I have tried exporting an "XML" file but am not sure how to import properly.

Could anyone walk me through this and keep it VERY simple.***

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CCarreiras
in reply to: wrikard

Hi!

Yes, it's due Administrrator Rights. The software can´t save some definitions.

Do the configuration with Administrator Rights.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
JDMather

wrikard wrote: 

I have tried exporting an "XML" file but am not sure how to import properly.

What problems are you having Importing the xml settings file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 13
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: JDMather

Unfortunately, the settings from App Options, hardware tab do not currently import as part of an export/import operation, so will need to be set manually.

Can you explain more about what the graphics issues are that make it unusable ? We're investigating some complaints around "ghosting" of geometry, (parts/features showing in wireframe mode instead of shaded). Do you have any screenshots of the problems ?

What sort of graphics h/w are you running ?

Compatibility mode can help with some issues, but you could be seeing something else, which may be better remedied otherwise.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
wrikard
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Hi,
I've attached a couple of pics showing the visual problems we face if we
leave the settings alone:
a) Navigation Bar appears empty - but it is active.
b) There are no "minimize, restore or close" options visible immediately
above the View Cube.
c) Choosing a sketch plane is essentially wire-frame and very touchy.
d) Extrusions create a vast amount of visual noise (Much worse than I was
able to capture with the pic I provided).

I have attached a screenshot of my CPU info as well.
Thanks!

*Wes Rikard*
*PLTW (GTT) Instructor*
*Fulmer Middle School
1614 Walterboro Street
West Columbia, SC 29170*
*(803) 822-5660*
Message 6 of 13
mcgyvr

you forgot to attach.....

have you tried updating the graphics card drivers to the latest version from the card manufacturers website.. (forget about trying to follow the autodesk certified list)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 13
wrikard

Thanks to all for the feedback!  My schedule makes it difficult to respond quickly, but I will try a few ideas that were thrown around.  Here, let's try the pics again...

Message 8 of 13
wrikard

Attached should be a screenshot of the Graphics Diagnostics I ran (through Application Options)...

(**Would have copy and pasted but cannot seem to access clipboard in Windows 7....I'm still new to this OS**)

Tags (2)
Message 9 of 13
mcgyvr

I think thats onboard graphics..

In general thats typically a "no-no" with Inventor.. It requires a dedicated graphics card..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 13
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: mcgyvr

Wes,

Do you see any improvement if you use the Software graphics option from the App Options, hardware tab ? Ensure to exit Inventor & restart so that the change takes effect.

But yes, your experience in Inventor is not going to be too good without reasonable graphics h/w.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 13
sam_m
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

there's all kinds of problems likely to happen trying to use Inventor 2014 on a Core 2 Duo with GMA 3100 integrated gpu on Win 7 32-bit & 4gb ram (from what I can tell).

The GMA 3100 will share the system memory (apparently between 512 and 1024MB depending on settings) - so that 4GB ram is only 3-3.5GB...  So, there's going to be a massive memory problem likely, but with 32-bit Win7 there's no point adding more (would need to goto 64bit Win7 too).

As far as I can tell, you've got the latest drivers, but that's a joke with them dated Oct 2009...

Saying all this... You're scraping by the minimum system requirments for 2014, so it "should" work...  not well, but it should...

As Chris has suggested, you might have to use software graphics mode to make it stable, but don't expect it to be smooth sailing with such low hardware spec.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 12 of 13
wrikard
in reply to: sam_m

Thanks for the feedback!  Choosing Software graphics works to solve the visual issues. 

*NEW PROBLEM*:

My students can create part files but are getting an error message when they go to save...

"ENCOUNTERED IMPROPER ARGUMENT" -> then Inventor crashes.  😞

If a student goes back in to OPEN a saved .ipt file...

a) They will see a thumbnail graphic of exactly what they saved

b) They will try to open it...

c) "ENCOUNTERED IMPROPER ARGUMENT"

(*sigh*) As a middle-school teacher, I encounter improper arguments all the time, but I can at least deal with it - sheeesh. Smiley Indifferent

Message 13 of 13
ChrisMitchell01

Wes,

I'll contact you offline about all this.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report