Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 & 2015 Chrash opeing IGES or STEP

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Ryan.Irwin
585 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor 2014 & 2015 Chrash opeing IGES or STEP

I am currently working on a project where we need to provide Steel stand-offs that will connect glass back to a steel frame.  This frame is curved in 2 directions.  The steel is inplace and the glass is ordered.  I need to figure out the length required for all of the stand-offs. 

We have the 3D CAD file that has the frame, stand-offs, and glass on it.  However not being familiar enough with CAD I expoted this into all IGES and STEP extensions.  I want to open it in inventor, take my section cuts, measure from a single working point to make sure the Steel I have in 3D is in fact where it actually is on site.  I can then do my Math and figure the proper size of these stand-offs (a couple hundred of them).

However, all attempts of opening these IGES or STEP or SAT or anything I Export too will not open and I get the crash report.  The Iges is about 74MB while the STEP is only around 44MB.

Inventor 2014 I have Service Pack 1 on

Inventor 2015 is stock

In my computer Properties I have Added the Environmental Variables  TRANS_REPORT_OPTION and tried both Values of 1 & 2.  No luck.

Computer Specs:

Windows 7 Pro - Service Pack 1

intel i7-4770K CPU @ 3.5GHZ 

32GB RAM DDR3

N-Vidia Quadro 4000

ASUS Maximus VI Hero Motherboard

Is there a trick to opening these large files or is my machine just not up to it?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Ryan.Irwin

@Ryan.Irwin wrote:

Inventor 2014 I have Service Pack 1 on

Inventor 2015 is stock 

Those are not the latest Service Packs or Updates for either release.

The first thing I would do is install the latest Service Packs and Updates.

The next step I would do is create simple cube exports and make sure you can import simple geometry.

Assuming the export/import round trip test works - I would then -

experiment with Options, set to Save as Opening and turn off any auto-healing, stitching, quality checking.

Assuming the simple part round trip test succeeded, but the complex part Options experiment fails, I would then -

upload a failing file to A360 and post link here (assuming file is not proprietary), if the file is proprietary, wait for someone from Autodesk to respond here requesting a secure NDA file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Ryan.Irwin
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for the quick reply.  In the past I have been able in import other complex files (up to 1000 individual parts)  This one however has 10,000+

I am able to open exported quadrants of the framing.  So I may just do that and constrain them all together in the assembly.  I was just hoping I could open up the Master instead of piecing sections together and doing all the double checking to insure my constraints are perfect.

I will update my service packs as well before attempting another time.  Again, thank you.

R

Message 4 of 7

Hi Ryan,

If it is still reproduce after your Inventor is up-to-date, may you please send me an simple example iges or step model for investigation via email Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com ? If the model is too large, I will open a ftp server for you.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 5 of 7

After installing the Service Packs I was able to open the STEP file (took about 45min to open but eventually it did) however not all of the components were there i.e. tension rods, clevis', clevis pins and nodes.  That said, the Steel frame, Stand-offs, Glass and glass fixings were there so I am able to do what I need to do.

I am still unable to open the IGES.  Kevin I will send you a dropbox link to download the IGES

Message 6 of 7

Hi Ryan,

For the IGES open problem, I can reproduce and log it as a bug 50367 in our system for development team to investigate.

From your description about STEP file, although it does not block your work now but seems some components are lost after importing to Inventor, if necessary you can also send the STEP file to me for futher investigation.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 7 of 7

Hi Ryan,

Just update the status of the IGES open problem, this problem is solved now in our latest internal build, the fix should be available in Inventor 2017 Beta build.

Please have a try on the beta build and let me know if it works for you.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report