Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor 2014-15 files saved as step files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
RosaQ
542 Views, 6 Replies

inventor 2014-15 files saved as step files

I have been having an issue with step files since inventor 2014. The step files produced do not get imported in the correct scale to Alibre (Geomagic), before then collaborators had no problems importing the files.  Since INV2014 they get scaled to 2.5 times the size.  The units used in the files are inches.  Alibre (Geomagic) has no problems importing step files made with other current cad programs.  Our collaborators have contacted Geomagic support and they believe that the issue is the step files inventor makes.

It is a pain for our collaborators to scale each part in the assemblies on a daily basis hopefully there is a fix.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: RosaQ

Have you installed Service Pack 2?

Can you attach an example *.ipt and resulting *.stp file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! I would like to see an example of the Inventor ipt and iam files and the exported STEP file. Inventor uses centimeter as internal unit. Model geometry in Inventor is always converted to cm internally. Exported geometry should be true to scale. For example, if the exported geometry is 1 inch long, the source geometry in Inventor should be 2.54 cm long.

You can try importing the same STEP file back to Inventor and check to see if you find any scaling issue. If is also possible the problem exists in the receving CAD system.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 7
RosaQ
in reply to: JDMather

Did a test file with cubes, 1 x 1 x 1 inch.  Test cube is in inches and test cube 2 is in centimeters.  I will send the files to my collaborators and I will let you know the results.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
RosaQ
in reply to: JDMather

I am using Inventor 2015 now and I just installed or reinstalled update 1.  Here are the files exported after the installation.

The files imported back into Inventor correctly.

Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Based on the behaviors you are seeing, I am not sure if the problem is with Inventor. Like I said before, no matter what unit is set in the Inventor part or assembly document, the geometry should stay the same length. If you are seeing a different behavior, please send me the Inventor files, I would like to take a look and see why it happens. If the files are larger than 20MB, I can set up a secure account for you to upload.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
RosaQ
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The thing is that before inventor 2014 step files made from inventor imported fine into Geomagic, the files included parts with mixed units.  I will upload pre 2014 step files and post 2014 step files tommorrow.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report