Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 to 2014 migration issues...

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
RobertCarroll5482
4097 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor 2013 to 2014 migration issues...

I just installed the Autodesk 2014 Design Suite. I have the Autodesk 2013 Design Suite installed. The installation of the 2014 Design Suite ran as a full install, it did not offer to install as an upgrade. At no time during the install was I offered to migrate anything from 2013 to 2014. (The AutoCad Mechanical is "supposed" to have a migration tool to help with this, but the "migrate from a previous release" button which is supposed to exist does not!)

Now I'm having issues in migrating things such as material styles and sheet metal rules. I've followed the instructions on migrating material styles using the Material Style Migration dialog box and it will not migrate materials from 2013 to 2014 as it is looking for a Materials.xml file and a Colors.xml, neither of which exist...

That may or may not be a problem (I only have a couple of appearances that I would have to create), but the big issue that I'm having is in migrating my Sheet Metal Rules. I have a number of Sheet Metal Rules that I need to migrate and they ALL fail. Using the Autodesk Inventor Style Library Manager 2014 to migrate them a dialog pops up  after a few minutes saying:

25 style collections failed to migrate due to the following errors: The material referenced in the Sheet Metal Rule could not be located. A default material has been assigned.

I'm stuck at this point as to a fix. I certainly do not want to re-create all of these rules! Again, it may be because of the "materials" issue above but all of the materials that I have used have been the "standard" Inventor Materials in 2013, and again, I cannot migrate those from 2013 to 2014.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

RSC

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi! In terms of styles, if I understand it correctly, I don't recall a need to migrate R2013 styles to R2014. Could you tell me why you want to migrate styles? Could you provide an example showing the behavior you are talking about? You can either post it here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 11

Actually, I do not know if I need to actually migrate "styles". My real concern is getting my Sheet Metal Rules into Inventor 2014 from 2013. As I had mentioned, using the Inventor 2014 Style Library Manager the migration fails...

I "think" that I can simply open my Inventor 2013 Sheet Metal.ipt template in 2014, "migrate" by going to Inventor/Manage/Migrate and then proceed to "save" the styles under the "Manage" tab in the ribbon... my Sheet Metal.ipt has all of my Sheet Metal Rules so it "should" work but I don't want to mess anything up in my 2013 installation.

I have opened some 2013 parts and assemblies and gone through the migration process to 2014 and things seem to work, but again, I cannot afford to brake anything in my 2013 install until I get 2014 working, at which point I will un-install 2013 so I have not actually "saved" anything from inside 2014 yet.

Do you think that my thoughts are good on this or do you think that something else is wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 4 of 11

Hi! I tried a quick test migrating the R2013 styles on my machine to R2014 using Style Library Manager. And, I did not see an error. Could you send me the entire \Design Data\ folder you are trying to migrate? I would like to see why some of the styles fail to migrate.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

I got just the same error during my migration than Robert.

Robert did you manage to fix the error?

Thanks in advance

Jarno

Message 6 of 11

Same exact warning.

Message 7 of 11

No, this particular issue was never resolved, though Autodesk spent a great deal of time corresponding with me trying to resolve it. I do not know if it's a bug in the software or something that I have that it does not recognize, but I ended up just recreating all of my styles.. I'm up and working but it was more work that I believe it should have been.

RSC

Message 8 of 11

Same issue here nobody seems to have any kind of solution even my resller cant figure it out

attached are the screen shots of the error I get

I get this doing nothing that even involves Sheet Metal , i.e new assembly new model (ipt) just out of the blue

Message 9 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: kesseltine

me too... 

I will just end up rebuilding my sheet metal rules after migrating everything else..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 11

OK, I had a very similar problem.  and i have fixed it in my environment.

First, migrate both your material xml and colors xml to a common file in your design folder.

Then Modify your project by adding that file you just migrated to both your material and appearances options.  You must also double click it to make it the default.

This allowed me save my sheet metal rules.

Good luck!Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 11

1. I recently installed Inventor 2013 after a few frustrating attempts at downloading Inventor 2014. My school however uses the 2014 version, and the projects that I started at school is unable to open on Inventor 2013....Is there a way I can upgrade to 2014 or change the file types so that I can work on files I started in school with the 2014?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report