Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 - Stress Analysis: Thin Bodies

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
CAD-One
892 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor 2013 - Stress Analysis: Thin Bodies

Can some one give a good example of when to use "Find Thin Bodies" in the Prepare tab of Stress analysis. pros & cons od using vs not using it.

Capture.JPG

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: CAD-One

I normally use Simulation Mechanical but I would trust that it treats thin wall members as a "surface" rather than trying to mesh a thin object. It speeds up the analysis is the greatest reason to use it. Good example would be a thin wall HSS column with cap/bolt plates at each end. The number of elements required to fill the HSS would slow down meshing and analysis.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
CAD-One
in reply to: blair

I am sorry, but I did not follow what do you mean by HSS column? a Tubular column or a cylinder?

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 4 of 6
blair

Really any thin material in relation to its other dimensions.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 6
CAD-One
in reply to: blair

I am trying to run FEA on a an assembly. While meshing I encounter this warning.

Capture.JPG

I clicked the "Find Thin Bodies"; it prompting to create a "Mid-Body" and when I clicked OK, the whole model is replaced by a surface body.

Is this normal? Am I going in the right direction?

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 6 of 6
blair

Yes, currently Inventor doesn't allow for "mixed" such as with Sim-Mech. This will run much faster than trying to fill a narrow body with geometric shapes to run the analysis.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report