Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 Strange Errors even after re-install

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tsreagan
798 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor 2013 Strange Errors even after re-install

INVENTOR PROFESSIONAL 2013

I have been using inventor since 10,  and consider myself very experienced. I was previousely an Autodesk instructor for Imaginit. (ACAD - REVIT - NAVISWORKS)

I am having issues with the simplest routines failing constantly.

A simple extrusion. ie. Draw a box, bisect the box, select half(works fine), select the other half (extursion fails!)

I restart inventor a few times, and then the box extrudes fine.

I call this (Finiky Mode)  and when its in this mode other simple things like fillets, trimming, etc.. all fail untill a restart, and sometimes requires several restarts.

I re-installed Inventor and the error was immediately evident. ( I have even patched with the update and 2 of the hot fixes)      2010 2011 and 2012 did not have this problem.

I know something is wrong,  Any one have a clue?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
trumpy81
in reply to: tsreagan

Sorry, I don't have any real answers for you.

Out of interest, what graphics card are you running?

Are the drivers for this card up to date and functioning correctly?

Are you seeing any errors in Event viewer at all, especially any relating to the graphics card drivers or .net?

Personnally, I have seen instances where some commands, which should work IMO, don't, but I haven't tried restarting to correct the issue, I normally chose another method to achieve what I want. Then again, I haven't seen any problems with the extrude command.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 9
tsreagan
in reply to: trumpy81

GeForce GTS 240 with the latest NVIDIA drivers. 8 GIGS Ram.

It seemed to be running fine untill just recently. (and Inventor 2010,11,and 12 worker fine on the same system)

I thought constantly forcing Inventor closed (no cancel command) maybe corrupted it. But a re-install did not correct the issue.

I disabled some .net services some time back, could that effect Inventor?

Are there registry settings that do not get wiped on a reinstall and maybe they are causing the problem?

I thought a re-install would reset everything, but I notice under library selection I have Library and Library1, (Library1 was left over from my old Inventor install, I was hoping to get rid of it, but it survived the re-install... and remains... to this day... a splinter in my mind.

Anyway,   I will keep checkin this thread to see if someone has similar issues, I hate restarting Inventor every darn hour.

Message 4 of 9
trumpy81

When doing a re-install of Inventor there are a few remnants left behind, both on the drive/s and in the registry.

Although, I doubt that any remnants would be responsible for the behaviour you are seeing, it's not outside the realm of possibilty though.

Of course the only way to be sure is to re-install Windows then re-install Inventor. A drastic solution for sure, but it would or should remove any doubts that one may have.

I would be more inclined to look at .net more closely. Since you have changed things in .net I would make that my first port of call.

It is interesting that the majority of people experiencing these types of problems with Inventor, also seem to be running NVidia graphics cards.

NVidia make great gaming cards, but Inventor is anything but a game and it would seem that these issues are pointing that out.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 5 of 9
tsreagan

The presence of more NVIDIA errors could be the high prevelance of those cards.

From an NVIDIA guy to an ATI guy 🙂  (or so I'm guessin) 🙂

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

tsreagan wrote:

Are there registry settings that do not get wiped on a reinstall and maybe they are causing the problem?

There is an Autodesk Clean Uninstall document that includes some registry edits.

How did you do the uninstall?

On install/reinstall did you have anti-virus (including any TSR) and UAC turned off?

I have been running 2013 for about 30 days on an NVIDIA card with no problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
tsreagan
in reply to: JDMather

I used the regular uninstall, I was not aware of a clean install utility, I will look out for that. THanks.

Message 8 of 9
trumpy81

tsreagan, I don't have any real preference for graphics card manufacturers. I have simply made an observation based on the type of problem reported versus video card used.

Whilst it is hardly a scientific observation, it is still relevant that most problems are encountered when using NVidia graphics cards. If the reverse were true then I would have stated that ATI based cards were used.

The total number of cards used, by one manufacturer or another, is not relevant in this case.

Personnally, I am rather frugal when it comes to money and if I can get enough bang out of a smaller amount of bucks then that is often the way I will go, hence my purchase of my current ATI card. It does the job, cost way less than an equivalent NVidia card and I can still play games like Crysis 2 on it without a hitch ... it has me smiling at least and my wallet is happy too Smiley Very Happy

Regards
Andy M
Message 9 of 9
tsreagan

The problem appears to be a corrupted assembly.

when opening a particular ASM, the errors begin, and do not go away until an Inventor restart.

I deleted it (Problem solved)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report