Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 stinks, why 2014

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
jeremyj
2948 Views, 18 Replies

Inventor 2013 stinks, why 2014

It took over 6 months to get 2013 to a point that I could actually use it, and it still is horrible.  Why does Autodesk waste time working on new releases when the old ones don't even work.  Our case status was move to the highest priority by Autodesk, and when that happened, that was the last time we heard from them.  We had to figure it out on our own and depend on our dealer for help.  I writing this post right now because I'm bored waiting for a file to check into Vault, which it has been doing for over an hour now.  Typically it takes about 30 seconds.  Can't wait for 2014 lol.  Or I could go back to 2011.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
stephen_inventor
in reply to: jeremyj

Hi,

Uncheck the option to create a dwf on check in and see if it makes a difference. 

Message 3 of 19
cbenner

Jeremy,

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I've enjoyed (mostly) 2013.  Not perfect, but then again it never will be.  If you are having specific problems, have you been posting them here?

Message 4 of 19
jeremyj
in reply to: cbenner

I have been posting them.  I've done so many things and it's frustrating.  There seems to be no predictablity to any of it either.  I want to switch to 2014 just to see if it's better.  I hate to say it but I'm considering giving sw a try.

Message 5 of 19
cbenner

I see a few posts, and it looks as though you were able to get some good suggestions.  I doubt that 2014 is going to be a magical cure all, especially the first release of it.  Smiley Wink

I suggest that you keep coming here for help with specific issues, documenting your workflow as much as possible and include your system specs if it relates.  Even if you do switch.  We're here to help you as much as we can.

Message 6 of 19
mcgyvr

wait... 2014 isn't the magical cure all?

What the heck are you beta testers doing over there.

Is the beta forum nothing but "I want my Classic back" topics? Smiley Tongue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 19
cbenner
in reply to: mcgyvr
Message 8 of 19
mcgyvr

yeah I can't remember if I wasn't invited to beta this year or what.. Not that I had enough time to fully evaluate it anyways.

Same thing with the expert elite meetings,etc... I'm an "elite" but I've been SO swamped with work these last few months there is no way I could participate and feel bad (they aren't getting their pens back though... muahhaha)

Hopefully I'll have a little more time these next few months but as soon as I say that more work just piles up on my desk.

Not that too much work is ever a bad thing though..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 9 of 19
QuasiMojo

If you install any new version before the first service pack you are a beta tester in fact, if not in title.  Never install new versions until most of the 'features' (fatal crashes) get worked out.  I haven't seen a stable release in years, which is completely unacceptable for professional software.  I won't pay full licence fees plus my time to deal with that kind of stuff.  I would love to proven wrong in 2014.  If 2013 is so bad for you, you probably have little to lose, but if you can actually get your work done, don't compound your problems with a new version...unless 2014 happens to be the year of a stable release.  Check back in the forums after release and see what the buzz is before you move on.

Message 10 of 19
tmiddendorf
in reply to: QuasiMojo

If everyone waits for the service pack before their install, there will never be a service pack and IV2014 will never exist.

I say sack up and dive in. We are, after all, professionals.

Regards,

Tomas

Message 11 of 19
jeremyj
in reply to: tmiddendorf

We are professionals, but when you lose six months of productivity from Inventor 2013, you tend to be sceptical.

Message 12 of 19
mcgyvr
in reply to: tmiddendorf

tmiddendorf wrote: We are, after all, professionals.

Speak for yourself Smiley Very Happy

I'm diving in though this time.. I want to be a "2014 no service pack rebel"

I can't wait to see what all these color/appearance problems are about. I feel left out.

Message 13 of 19
cbenner

@mcgyvr wrote:

Same thing with the expert elite meetings,etc... I'm an "elite" but I've been SO swamped with work these last few months there is no way I could participate and feel bad (they aren't getting their pens back though... muahhaha)

I've been in the same boat... buried since I got back from Vegas last year.

Message 14 of 19

@tmiddendorf wrote:

If everyone waits for the service pack before their install, there will never be a service pack and IV2014 will never exist.

I say sack up and dive in. We are, after all, professionals.

Hi tmiddendorf,

Most users would be well advised to install and test the new release of any software first, before rolling it out for production work. I think the "dive in" approach would generally be considered unprofessional and potentially risky, particularly when the software creates files that can not be backed out to the previous release.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 15 of 19

"...sack up and dive in." The epitome of professional.

If the problems with new releases weren't so frequent and so serious there wouldn't be so much hesitation in the roll-out. Sadly, that hasn't been the case. In my opinion the new releases aren't stable enough to use as shipped and I won't spend my time ($) to troubleshoot a product that I pay for.  Give me free licenses or give me a stable product.  Nah, give me a stable product.  I have work to do.

Message 16 of 19
blair

I guess, I don't do that much difficult stuff. I can't really think of any problems I had with any release expect for I think 6.0 which they released with 6.2 or something like that.

I am lucky if I get 1 crash a month

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 17 of 19
dano0310

First rule of installing. Don't install until the year stated on the package. If everyone who used it to its potential did this though it wouldn't be usable until the following year since the real beta testing starts after roll out.
Message 18 of 19

@jeremyj wrote:

I hate to say it but I'm considering giving sw a try.

Good luck with that, you'll simply be trading one set of problems for another.

I'd much rather deal with the problems I know how to address, never mind having to start from scratch on a new software. Also, unlike these AutoDesk forumns, you have to be a current SW subscription holder to access their forumns...unless they've changed that in the last year or so.

From a CAD Admin side of things, SW is a royal pain in the arse for the simple fact they are service pack/patch happy. A new SP about every 60 days on avg. Typically their first SP is about 45 days after release. I've got far better things to do than load service packs every 60 days.

I've been running 2013 for about 3 months now, I too was planning on waiting for 2014 but the client's needs trumped that idea. Thusfar I haven't really had too many issues with 2013, not like I had expected. The main issue I ran into was the Styles/Appearences deal and once I created brand new templates in 2013 (as opposed to migrating the old ones in), everything was peachy.

As far as running 2014 right out of the box.....never, ever go live with a new release until you've thoroughly tested it. ****, I get enough grief even after I've tested a new release, never mind if it didn't work for some odd reason and everyone was dead in the water.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 19 of 19

Yet another classic example of how much time I waste on this.  Create a new rectgangle (zero dims). measure the angle to the line next to it, that angle measure zero.  Create a dimension to that line and it doesn't work.  This is rediculous......start over from scratch once again.  Boy am I glad for all the cute nick nacks this software has Smiley Mad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report