Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 Service Pack 1.1 problems

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
peter
1172 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor 2013 Service Pack 1.1 problems

I saw there was a service pack 1.1 available for Inventor 2013 so I installed it. But upon installation the Create New File window has become crippling slow. It is completely unusable and I will need to uninstall the service pack if I can not find a fix. I saw there was an update for SP1.1 so I installed that but there was no change. Prior to installing SP1.1 I had Update 1 & 2 installed along with the vault hotfix. My machine is..

Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.6GHz

16GB RAM

64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Robafak
in reply to: peter

At here (company with 4 Inventor 2013 licences) occured the same problem after installing SP 1.1

Message 3 of 15
peter

On one occasion upon executing the "Create New File" command I got this error dialog box. I had to click OK about a dozen times for it to go away. This was after a fresh start of Inventor. This was the first command I ran and no documents had been loaded yet at this time. There were two zeros in the lower right corner confirming this. This addin was set to load automatically. Changing the configurations for it didn't change the "Create New File" behavior.

Inventor Error small.JPG

Message 4 of 15
peter
in reply to: Robafak

Did you ever find a solution or did you just uninstall the service pack?

Message 5 of 15
jakefowler

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting this issue, and very sorry for our delayed response to this, I was consulting with our internal experts to determine what the problem might be.

I've received two suggestions for possible causes of your issue:

1. It could be related to your template files being on a network drive. Is this the case? If so, switching to the default project should make the performance issue disappear. One possible suggested solution for this is to map the server location of your templates as a network drive on your machine. Let me know if you need help trying that.

2. Another possibility is that this is related to a corrupted Material/Appearance library. If you open the Material and Appearance Browser windows, do you see any errors highlighted next to the libraries?

Let me know whether or not either of these suggestions helps, and if not we can continue investigating this further with you.

Thanks very much again,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 6 of 15
peter
in reply to: jakefowler

The cause is definately from the templates being located on a network drive. I've remapped my template location as a network drive and it fixed the issue. Response time is now down to like a second though this still seems slightly more sluggish then it should be and has been in the past. Will there be a permanent fix for this issue coming? 

Message 7 of 15
ChrisMitchell01

Hi Peter,

A fix for this was provided in SP1.1 Update1 - you can get that from:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20857064&linkID=9242019

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 15
Robafak

Hi Chris, Placing the Templates to a local spot on my computer solves the problem. I installed Update 1 for SP1.1 but the problem remains. We didn't have this problem (Delay on Create New file) at the first installation of Inventor 2013, It occurred later after installing SP1.1 Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards Rob Schaap Mechanical Engineer [cid:image001.jpg@01CDF3C1.853C1F40]Afak Techniek BV Steenbakkerstraat 12 2222 AT Katwijk aan Zee The Netherlands Telefoon: 0031 (0)71 40 240 66 Telefax: 0031 (0)71 40 340 51 General e-mail: afak@afak.nl www.afak.nl
Message 9 of 15
jonathanruffray

Hello all,

We can see we are several users experiencing slow down with Inventor 2013.

In my office, we are 6 users.  4 of us experiencing random slow down performance when editing a part/assembly and 1 user (me...) experiencing deadly slow down with "create new"!!

Templates are on a network drive and SP1.1 Upadte 1 have been installed without any change on performance!!

Issue is still open and the solution proposed by autodesk was to reinstalled Inventor !!  We do not try it but what is surprising is that it's not an isolated case...   Something goes wrong with 2013 version !!

Regards,

John.

--------------------------------
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013
Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
Bi-Xeon E5520 (2x Quad-core @2.27GHz)
Quadro Fx 1800 768Mo GDDR3
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Message 10 of 15
ChrisMitchell01

Hi,

Are you able to supply any additional information ?

1. Exactly how were your templates defined with the problem ?
  2. Is it any faster on the second invocation of the File, New dialog compared to the first ?
  3. What sort of delays are you talking about here ? Seconds, minutes ?
  4. Does mapping a network drive instead of using a UNC definition also fix the problem, similarly to using a local drive ?
  5. How much data is in the folder one level above the templates folder ? If you create an empty folder above templates, does that also improve performance ?

We've had other customers who have noted a marked improvement in performance after installing SP1.1 update1 so this is a bit confusing, hence the request for more info.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 15
jonathanruffray

Hello Chris,

Thanks for you help. Take a look at this thread where I'have had posted some comments.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Installed-INV-2013-very-slow/m-p/3738832#M456860

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-2013-really-slow/m-p/3709580#M454755

See below my answer  to your questions:

1. Exactly how were your templates defined with the problem ?

When using the create new command, select a template (between 10 different) take a long time :  above 10 seconds to activate the selected files...

2. Is it any faster on the second invocation of the File, New dialog compared to the first ?

No

3. What sort of delays are you talking about here ? Seconds, minutes ?

above 10 seconds but could freeze the computer for minutes!!

4. Does mapping a network drive instead of using a UNC definition also fix the problem, similarly to using a local drive ?

The project files refer to network drive (H:/ or something else). But your question give me the idea to used a UNC Path (\\fileserver\...\...\template\) and... it works better !!   Not as fast as for Inventor 2012 but it is really better !!!

But I can't understand why it works because it seems that network mapping is the best ..??

5. How much data is in the folder one level above the templates folder ? If you create an empty folder above templates, does that also improve performance ? Many file in many sub-folder on the above folder

Thanks guy, it seems that I'm going in the good direction...   I will remap our project file with UNC path...

--------------------------------
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013
Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
Bi-Xeon E5520 (2x Quad-core @2.27GHz)
Quadro Fx 1800 768Mo GDDR3
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Message 12 of 15

Hi Jonathan,

This is a bit strange since in our experience you should get better performance with a mapped network drive as opposed to a UNC drive. The only thing I can think of right now, is that the File New dialog, (I believe) will try to gather all the files/folders/properties of everything at the same level as the Templates folder itself. (You can likely see this in the Ui).

Do you have the exact syntax of the better performing UNC mapping compared to what your H: drive was mapped to ? When you say that there are lots of other folders/files at the same level as your templates folder, I wonder if somehow, the File New dialog is interrogating a lot more info depending on exactly how your folders/drives are structured.

Perhaps something you can investigate if/when you get chance, while we're doing further follow up here ?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 15
peter
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

The Update 1 for SP1.1 did nothing for my performance as well.

@ChrisMitchell01 wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

...When you say that there are lots of other folders/files at the same level as your templates folder, I wonder if somehow, the File New dialog is interrogating a lot more info depending on exactly how your folders/drives are structured...

Thanks,

Chris

This really seems to make sense. Attached is a screenshot of the 'New File' screen with the templates mapped to when there is a performance issue. Even though the templates are mapped to "V:/Inventor Templates" it is still showing all of the folders on the same level as that directory instead of only the children. And there is over 1TB of data in those peer folders. Obviously by mapping V:/Inventor Templates as its own network drive this folder becomes isolated.

Message 14 of 15
Koeppel2

Chris,

We are seeing the exact same issue.  In the file new dialog we are seeing any folders that are also contained withing the parent folder of the Templates folder.  This is only happening however when we use a mapped network drive letter.  If I map the path directly thru the UNC it works just fine, but is not acceptable for our use.  We want to use a drive letter since we deploy our standards worldwide and do not want to have to reconfigure for every server. 

Attached is a word document with screenshots showing the difference when having the templates path mapped thru a UNC or thru a drive letter.

Currently we are working on our upgrade for 100+ users and it would be great if we could get a SP2 or an update to fix this.

Scott Koeppel

Greenheck Fan Co.

Message 15 of 15
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: Koeppel2

Hi Scott,

If switching to UNC is not an option for you, then a workaround is to add an empty folder above the "Templates" folder, move Templates down a level in to that, & then modify your project definition to point to the new Templates location.

We are currently looking at this issue further.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report