Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
jonathanruffray
Message 11 of 15 (406 Views)

Re : Inventor 2013 Service Pack 1.1 problems

01-17-2013 05:31 AM in reply to: peter

Hello Chris,

Thanks for you help. Take a look at this thread where I'have had posted some comments.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Installed-INV-2013-very-slow/m-p/3738832#M456860

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-2013-really-slow/m-p/3709580#M454755

See below my answer  to your questions:

1. Exactly how were your templates defined with the problem ?

When using the create new command, select a template (between 10 different) take a long time :  above 10 seconds to activate the selected files...

2. Is it any faster on the second invocation of the File, New dialog compared to the first ?

No

3. What sort of delays are you talking about here ? Seconds, minutes ?

above 10 seconds but could freeze the computer for minutes!!

4. Does mapping a network drive instead of using a UNC definition also fix the problem, similarly to using a local drive ?

The project files refer to network drive (H:/ or something else). But your question give me the idea to used a UNC Path (\\fileserver\...\...\template\) and... it works better !!   Not as fast as for Inventor 2012 but it is really better !!!

But I can't understand why it works because it seems that network mapping is the best ..??

5. How much data is in the folder one level above the templates folder ? If you create an empty folder above templates, does that also improve performance ? Many file in many sub-folder on the above folder

Thanks guy, it seems that I'm going in the good direction...   I will remap our project file with UNC path...

--------------------------------
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013
Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
Bi-Xeon E5520 (2x Quad-core @2.27GHz)
Quadro Fx 1800 768Mo GDDR3
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Board Manager
ChrisMitchell01
Message 12 of 15 (394 Views)

Re : Inventor 2013 Service Pack 1.1 problems

01-17-2013 02:07 PM in reply to: jonathanruffray

Hi Jonathan,

This is a bit strange since in our experience you should get better performance with a mapped network drive as opposed to a UNC drive. The only thing I can think of right now, is that the File New dialog, (I believe) will try to gather all the files/folders/properties of everything at the same level as the Templates folder itself. (You can likely see this in the Ui).

Do you have the exact syntax of the better performing UNC mapping compared to what your H: drive was mapped to ? When you say that there are lots of other folders/files at the same level as your templates folder, I wonder if somehow, the File New dialog is interrogating a lot more info depending on exactly how your folders/drives are structured.

Perhaps something you can investigate if/when you get chance, while we're doing further follow up here ?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Inventor Customer Engagement Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Active Contributor
peter
Message 13 of 15 (391 Views)

Re : Inventor 2013 Service Pack 1.1 problems

01-17-2013 02:36 PM in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

The Update 1 for SP1.1 did nothing for my performance as well.

chrismitchell01 wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

...When you say that there are lots of other folders/files at the same level as your templates folder, I wonder if somehow, the File New dialog is interrogating a lot more info depending on exactly how your folders/drives are structured...

Thanks,

Chris

This really seems to make sense. Attached is a screenshot of the 'New File' screen with the templates mapped to when there is a performance issue. Even though the templates are mapped to "V:/Inventor Templates" it is still showing all of the folders on the same level as that directory instead of only the children. And there is over 1TB of data in those peer folders. Obviously by mapping V:/Inventor Templates as its own network drive this folder becomes isolated.

Active Contributor
koeppel
Message 14 of 15 (331 Views)

Re: Re : Inventor 2013 Service Pack 1.1 problems

02-08-2013 01:46 PM in reply to: peter

Chris,

We are seeing the exact same issue.  In the file new dialog we are seeing any folders that are also contained withing the parent folder of the Templates folder.  This is only happening however when we use a mapped network drive letter.  If I map the path directly thru the UNC it works just fine, but is not acceptable for our use.  We want to use a drive letter since we deploy our standards worldwide and do not want to have to reconfigure for every server. 

Attached is a word document with screenshots showing the difference when having the templates path mapped thru a UNC or thru a drive letter.

Currently we are working on our upgrade for 100+ users and it would be great if we could get a SP2 or an update to fix this.

Scott Koeppel

Greenheck Fan Co.

Board Manager
ChrisMitchell01
Message 15 of 15 (286 Views)

Re: Re : Inventor 2013 Service Pack 1.1 problems

02-13-2013 10:58 AM in reply to: koeppel

Hi Scott,

If switching to UNC is not an option for you, then a workaround is to add an empty folder above the "Templates" folder, move Templates down a level in to that, & then modify your project definition to point to the new Templates location.

We are currently looking at this issue further.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Inventor Customer Engagement Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.