Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 - Revolve command

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
smickster
1984 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor 2013 - Revolve command

I sketched a closed shape (rectangular with a notch cut out), finished the sketch, and performed a revolve.  I select the profile and the axis and the solid is displayed.  The only revolve type that is allowed is a 'cut', however there aren't any intersecting objects that I'm aware of; it's out in the middle of apparently empty space.  When I select OK I get an error message  -  "Create Revolved Feature: problems encountered while executing this command."  The error window has buttons for Edit and Cancel.   What am I doing wrong ???

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
arnie.martin
in reply to: smickster

From your screen shot it looks like you are in an assembly file. In assembly mode only subtractive modifications can be performed on parts. So the revolve commad is only allowing cut because it is trying to modify participant parts in the assembly. To make a new part, first use the "create" command on the assemble tab to make a new part, or to edit an exisiting part in place, right click it in the browser window and hit edit.

Arnie

Message 3 of 4
smickster
in reply to: arnie.martin

Thank you for the suggestion.  I gave it a shot and it still wouldn't work. So I opened a new part file and created it there.

Message 4 of 4
rhasell
in reply to: smickster

As Arnie mentioned, you are doing all your work in Assembly mode.

There are a lot of tutorials out there, JMATHER has plenty, I would have a look at his web site for some interesting information.

The reason why it did not work for a second time was that you probably clicked on the Drum Sub-Assembly and not the Part within the sub-assembly.

How I tought myself was to think of the manufacture process, all parts are manufactured indiviually with all features created, then the individual parts are Assembled together via bolts, welds etc. Any work done in assembly mode is carried out on the finished item, which is naturally the removal of material.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report