Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 "half section view" mode

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
BrianSchultz3877
14152 Views, 29 Replies

Inventor 2013 "half section view" mode

I use the "view" tab to create a half section view of an assembly.  This works fine, but if I try to measure anything, move or select a component, or export image to a .jpg then it automatically returns back to "end section view" mode.   Without the ability to operate in a section view the it is impossible to constrain componets that are placed deep inside of other components. This make this view function useless except for just looking at it on the screen.  This worked in 2012 and will not in 2013.  How do I correct this?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Hey Brian,

It seems like they added a step in the half section view creation.  When you start the command, and select your edge to use as the cut line, right click and select "continue".  Then right click again and click "Ok" (or hit enter).  It should now work.

Hope that helps....

Message 3 of 30
SBix26
in reply to: BrianSchultz3877

To restate what p_enneking wrote, you have to finish the command before it takes effect.  When you choose another tool (rotate, measure, etc.) before you have finished the section view, you're telling Inventor that you didn't want to do that after all, and it obeys and cancels the section view.

Message 4 of 30
dan_inv09
in reply to: p_enneking

Does Enter work for you?

My coworkers and I all have to right click and select "OK (Enter)" because Enter does not seem to work.

Message 5 of 30
vheller

Hello,

I have same problem here. See attached screenshot for message.

Also, same message I got while placing detail view. I follow all recomendations, doesn't really help...

Message 6 of 30
JDMather
in reply to: vheller

@vheller wrote:

Hello,

I have same problem here.

This doesn't sound to me like the same problem at all - attach your files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 30
vheller
in reply to: JDMather

Do you mean upload whole project? It about 300 Mb...

Message 8 of 30
JDMather

I think there is a problem with one of your parts that is the source of this error information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 30
dan_inv09

Yes, that is a completely different problem. It's an error while creating a section view in a drawing, this thread was about section views in the model (about how you have to right click and select okay when you thought you were done - more is better, right? Why not make us click twenty times every time we do something? Do they have meetings at Autodesk, "Everyone, Tommy here needlessly added clicks to an operation resulting in 15-20 minutes of productivity loss per week for every user, you all should take a lesson from him. Tommy, there will be a bonus in your paycheck this week!")

Message 10 of 30
vheller

The whole project is too big. I paste link to download it.

Please note that all information in this file is confidential.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B53m4m5pQt7eMUFzTlhZeFJxYUE

Message 11 of 30
JDMather

@vheller wrote:

Please note that all information in this file is confidential.

Then I strongly suggest you not post where everyone can get it.

EESignature

Message 12 of 30
vheller

Any other way to grant you access to this file to investigate an issue?

Message 13 of 30
dan_inv09

So, let me get this straight, you are trying to create a section view on a drawing?

I would start by trying to make the section view a little bit to one side of where you are getting the problem. Then try far enough that some parts would be excluded if it's an assembly (in a part, I guess, you would want to get past some features, like if there's an extrusion or a loft or something). If you can get a section to work then you look at what is where it didn't work.

Message 14 of 30
dan_inv09

So, let me get this straight, you are trying to create a section view on a drawing?

I would start by trying to make the section view a little bit to one side of where you are getting the problem. Then try far enough that some parts would be excluded if it's an assembly (in a part, I guess, you would want to get past some features, like if there's an extrusion or a loft or something). If you can get a section to work then you look at what is where it didn't work.

Message 15 of 30
vheller
in reply to: dan_inv09

There is only one drawing attached - GA-002.dwg, I guess... Yes, I'm trying to make section view in that one to show both sides of the skid from inside center line.

Message 16 of 30
vheller

Doesn't really work... I can't create any section view from this assembly, even if I hide some stuff in view.

Message 17 of 30
tommy-z

As always when Autodesk makes "improvements" to the user-interface we get some new and (sometimes) interesting features, at the expence of some or other of the useful, or at least workable, features which we have gotten acustomed to.

It surely must be a mistake that when wanting to create a "Half Section View" in an assembly, we are not able to "sign out" this action by just using the enter button.

What is the rationale, what on earth is the improvement over previous versions of the wonderful tool called "Inventor", that after selecting: "View" -> "Half Section View", then clicking on a plane / part surface and consequently dragging the offset to "whatever", adjusting the offset by typing in a number in the dialog-field, and then hitting "Enter" to confirm: The whole dialog-box disappears, and then you cannot just hit "Enter" to confirm that you in fact do want to create such a "Half Section View"?

No, no - you then, off course, have to right-click (which miraculously makes the dialogue re-appear) for the final click on the "OK" button.

Quelle Magnificence, Quelle Luxe!

NOT!

Tags (1)
Message 18 of 30
vheller

Hello.

It does work. The wierd thing is instance of same subassembly caused this problem.

Thank you.

Message 19 of 30
alvinm

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Can someone tell me if there's a way we can still measure when the Half Section view still on??? I used to able to do it in 2012 and 2011.. why would they change that.. it was a big feature I used everyday..
Please email me if someone has a solution.
Certified Engineering Technologist
Message 20 of 30
mrattray
in reply to: alvinm

Did you make sure to right click and then click enter to accept the section view? If you don't, then trying to use the measure command will cancel the section.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report