Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 not dumping physical memory

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
andyflorence6444
1473 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor 2013 not dumping physical memory

We recently moved from Inventor 2010 to 2013. Since then we have been having alot of lag problems. One major problem we have found that is giving us lag is our RAM usage. Inventor continually steals more and more ram until its starts to lag out. When I open a large assembly inventor goes from useing 1.2 GB to 4 GB of ram. When I close the assembly the RAM usage stays at 4 GB. If I open another assembly it just builds onto that and can go up to 6  GB before it starts lagging badly. Closing inventor dumps the physical memory. Anyone have any ideas?

System:

windows enterprise (no service pack) 7-64 bit  

intel(r) Xeon(r) CPU (2 processors)

9 GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 graphics card

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
streharg
in reply to: andyflorence6444

All PS and updates installed? 

Next - you'll have to go to Application options - File tab, and clean out the Enable Quick File Open option. 

Quick File Open

Greg

PDSU 2016
4790K, 32 Gb ram, GTX 960 ...
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 3 of 9

Hey Andy,

This link may help.  It details the limits of Windows 7 Memory.

Windows 7 Physical Memory

Message 4 of 9
andyflorence6444
in reply to: streharg

stregarg:

Yes all updates have been installed. I've tried unchecking the "enamble quick file open" and it has no effect.

Message 5 of 9
streharg

Hmm, that's strange. Inventor did have problems with dumping memory, but it was fixed with SPs.

And on 20 computers and 4 different systems, it does work for ok at my place. Sometimes it does need some time to release all of the memory (with big assy, up to 20 sec), but it does. Did you try to restart Inventor?  For further investigation, i have no idea...maybe somebody more experienced can help.

Sorry.

Greg

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 6 of 9
andyflorence6444

when I close inventor, it does dump all the physical memory. but to make inventor run, I would have to restart 30 times a day.

through the task manager, I choose to run the process as administrator. Once this was active and I restarted Inventor, the RAM useage dropped dramatically, it started dumping memory, and load times have shortened greatly. So maybe there is some rights problems it's encountering i'm not sure. Running as administrator fixes the inital problems but i doubt it is the original cause of the problem. It also causes some other projects file load problems.

Still working on solving the problems.

Thanks for you help,

Message 7 of 9
streharg

For inventor to work properly, you have to run it as administrator.... or did i miss something in past 5 years? Smiley Surprised

Well, at least now you know where the problem might be.

Good luck!

Greg

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 8 of 9
andyflorence6444

As it turns out, Autodesk does not recommend running inventor as  administrator. It can evidently cause connectivity issues which is what we were seeing. As administrator, the program runs perfect except for it can not locate our template files on a network drive (some workstation can see it, others can't). Autodesk says that it has something to do with our "group policy". This does make some sense. However, our group policy has full rights. so we should not be seeing any "network rights" issues. So running as adminstrator is not the solution, why are we seeing rights issues if we have full rights? any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Also, when we run inventor as "administrator" and the program runs smoothly, we are still seeing a slow memory leak. It takes alot longer but the RAM usage still climbs.

Message 9 of 9

Have you found a solution to this problem yet as my co-workers and I are experiencing the same issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report