Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 extremley slow in IDW's

66 REPLIES 66
SOLVED
Message 1 of 67
rhasell
7367 Views, 66 Replies

Inventor 2013 extremley slow in IDW's

Hi

Please can someone help, Hopefully it's a setting or something I have done incorrectly.

When working in detail drawings inventor progessivly gets slower, the more information on the drawing, the worse it gets.

I was watching the task manager, For ANY command, the 1st core runs at 100% for up to 30 seconds, while this is happening, Inventor is dead.

EG, add a revision row, delete a symbol, zoom in or out, pan, add a dimension, move a leader etc.

for each command/move takes 10 to 30 seconds to get control, it took me 45 minutes, to add a revision row and print 15 drawings this morning.

Please help, it realy is slowing me down.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
66 REPLIES 66
Message 2 of 67
rhasell
in reply to: rhasell

This is killing me, I realy hope someone can help otherwise I am screwed.

😞 😞 😞

Reg
Message 3 of 67
SBix26

Something is definitely wrong-- your machine specs look good.  The only suggestion I have, and one that I have very little confidence in, is to check your virus scanner, make sure that it is not real-time scanning Inventor documents.  But even if it is, it should make at most a few seconds difference in opening and saving, not this kind of incredibly bad performance just to execute a zoom or pan.

Message 4 of 67
rhasell

Thanks, I will have a look in the morning. One way to get around it is to open each file individually, make changes, then work on the next document.

I had all 15 drawings open of which 5 were of the same GA. This has never been a problem up until now? The GA drawings are the worst.

One other thing, I did not use the task manager to migrate my files, I have always migrated with "save".
Reg
Message 5 of 67
e.pearman

I am having the SAME issue as well.  Very poor perfomance in the .idw area. HELP!  I tried to go back to 2012 but cannot.  I installed 2013 Ultimate yesterday and wish i hadn't.

Precision 690 - Dual Zeon

Win7/64

32GB Ram

Message 6 of 67
stevenguy
in reply to: e.pearman

Every new version of Inventor has new feature new option more tool to load and it getting slower that is why we need to upgrade PC every 1 or 2 years to keep up with new software.

The (.idw) slow could be many thing related. I don't thinkk Inventor 2013. Unless you have 2 Inventor version open and compare.

There are few thing you may want to check your model.

1. Is the assembly or part up to date?

2. Do you use any view prep in your IDW?

3. Any positional view use in IDW?

4. Do all your view in IDW like detail and section view are lock down?

5.How many sheets do you have in your idw? Too many sheet could make the file bigger.

6. Are all the view up to date if not you may want to open the assembly and update all the view prep or position view then save and update your idw view.

I don't have Inv 2013 to try yet but I am using 2012 and the idw update can use multip core and it help a lot for idw.

I wish assembly can use muplti core soon.

Keep playing 

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2016
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
Message 7 of 67
rhasell
in reply to: stevenguy

Every new version of Inventor has new feature new option more tool to load and it getting slower that is why we need to upgrade PC every 1 or 2 years to keep up with new software.

Goodness me, if my machine is too small, then I shudder to think what is going to happen to a LOT of people out there, as I think that my machine is pretty good, not the best, but definately big enough for inventor.

The (.idw) slow could be many thing related. I don't thinkk Inventor 2013. Unless you have 2 Inventor version open and compare.

I do have a comparison, everything was done in 2012, I then upgraded to 2013, all files were migrated, I had to make some minor adjustments to the drawings, up the revision, and then print. I had no issues with 2012.

There are few thing you may want to check your model.

1. Is the assembly or part up to date?

-Yes, but always worth checking, it does cause issues.

2. Do you use any view prep in your IDW?

Yes, I do use them a lot. Do these cause issues, perhaps I should go back to LOD?

3. Any positional view use in IDW?

No.

4. Do all your view in IDW like detail and section view are lock down?

Not sure I understand, Some sectional views are locked down (Dimensioned) and Detail views are not anchored.

Does this cause performance issues?

5.How many sheets do you have in your idw? Too many sheet could make the file bigger.

One sheet per drawing only. (Occasionally Dummy sheets (blank) for page numbering and Parts List mods) (http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/02/balloon-renumbering-across-sheets.html)

(FYI for anyone, When using the task manager, you don't have to worry about file naming)

6. Are all the view up to date if not you may want to open the assembly and update all the view prep or position view then save and update your idw view.

Always updating them, now that you mention it, there was a strange issue, I use a view rep to hide the fastners in some views, but for some reason or other a few bolts remained visible, regardless of the settings?

I also change the colour/weight of lines to "grey out" areas on the drawing, enabling better visibilty of important areas. (Use this on various marking plans on the GA)

Thanks for the reply, I do hope we can fix this, hopefully Autodesk will patch it soon.

Reg
Message 8 of 67
trumpy81

There are two possible reasons that come to mind for the slow performance in drawings. First off, check that you have all the latest .NET framework updates installed and that they are not giving issues.

Open 'event viewer' in Windows and look for any errors relating to .NET framework.

Second possible reason is your graphic card drivers. Update to the latest drivers from the manufacturers website and make sure that they are installed correctly. If you already have the latest drivers installed, then open 'Device Manager' and uninstall them. Reboot the machine and let Windows re-install the drivers for you. You may have to reboot again, but in most cases not.

Hopefully, that will get you sorted, if not just holler!! 🙂

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 9 of 67
rhasell
in reply to: trumpy81

Thanks, I will give it a try.

I have not had any issues today, as I am working with the individual files.

I looked through the logs, but could not find any relevant .NET errors.

I will re-install the graphics card driver, The driver has "clean install" option which removes all traces of the previous versions.

@Steve

I have been playing around with LOD instead of Design View Reps (DVR), it does drop the file sizes,(As it should) but I have gotten so used to DVR, it is going to be a big change. (Can't use it in the Parts list filter) I prefer DVR now, but each one has its merits, one handy feature is being able to open the assembly from the drawing.

Reg
Message 10 of 67
cmcconnell

We have seen some performance issue with iDWS that have shaded views. We have had reasonable luck changing the shaded views to unsghaded while we are working on the idw, and changing it back when we are done.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 11 of 67
rhasell

A quick update.

My VAR suggested that I try and switch off "Enable background updates"

I appears to have improved the performance at this stage. With all the files open, I did the following test:

- open the Rev table.

- moved one dimension

- Zoomed in

- Pan

-  Zoom all

The slowest performance was around 10 seconds, but it averaged 1 - 2 seconds, which is slower than 2012, but MUCH better.

I will keep this thread updated as the day goes on, especially when it comes to another bulk drawing release, thats when I realy struggle.

@cmcconnell

The shaded views is a good idea, I will keep that in mind, thank you.

The VAR suggested that I make a new project file, I will try that as well.

Keep you updated.

Reg
Message 12 of 67
rhasell

A quick update at the end of the day.

Sorry to say that it started slowing down again.

I was working on two very basic drawings, after afew hours it started it's trouble again, the only way to fix it was to re-start inventor.

Keep you all posted.

Reg
Message 13 of 67
aguitton116

Hi,

one of my customer has the exact same problem and he could check the same drawing on Inventor 2012 and 2013 and the difference is clear.

On 2012 he can see that all the core are used when panning the view or other simple operations in the drawing, and on 2013 only one is used at 100% and it slows down.

I think there is a real problem but i didn't install Inventor 2013 yet to check by myself but will do it soon for sure.

Message 14 of 67
aguitton116
in reply to: aguitton116

One idea, maybe useless but anyway... Do you have the same problem on Inventor DWGs ?

Message 15 of 67
rhasell
in reply to: aguitton116

Update.

I have been playing around a bit, and to answer the question about DWG's, I can't say for sure, as I only create one or two per data set, and they are generally the GA marking plans, so yes, they are big and chunky, so inherently slow.

The biggest thing that I have done is Disable "Enable Quick File Open"  This setting has made a difference. I can now work without wanting to slit my wrists every time I need to review a drawing pack.

Below is a quote of email I sent to the VAR. (Note: the above setting was not tested at the time of sending this mail)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things done to date:

-          Changed Undo file size from 1GB to 256MB, no change, so I changed it back.

-          Drawing Tab: Switched off Enable background updates, no difference. (Was even slower)

-          Switched on Memory Saving mode, this is currently on at the moment, this has made a small difference, I can work for longer before it starts dying on me.

-          Yesterday afternoon I switched off “Enable Quick file open” This still has to be tested properly.

-          Created a new project file.

-          Migrated the files before working on them. (Only the next project due for work, I must admit it did not complete, as I ran out of time and had to carry on working, so only 80% of the files were migrated, the rest were done via “file save”)

-          The Temp directory gets cleared often, I always have it in “c:\temp” that way I can find it and manage it.

The issue with the first core sitting at 100% seems to have resolved itself due to one of the settings made above, can’t say which one.

Observations:

The slowdown is progressive, it is fine in the beginning.

On my computer the starting memory usage is around 2.8gig to 3.5gig. When working in drawings, this climbs to around the 4gig mark, anything over 4.6gig and the machine starts to struggle, e.g. Takes 10-15 seconds to delete a rev cloud, when I have to delete 10 rev clouds on one drawing, that’s more than 2 minutes just staring at screen, multiply that by 20 to 50 drawings, it is a lot of time wasted just looking at the screen, that just one scenario.

Anyway, the memory consumption does not climb much higher, and the processor does not work excessively hard. What I do is close all files and track the memory, it will dump perhaps 500meg, i.e., it will go from 4.6gig to 4.1gig. If I close inventor and re-open it, the memory goes back to the starting value (2.8-3.5)

This is just an observation, that is why I have switched of the “enable quick file open”, perhaps it’s a file caching issue.

It is a lot better, nowhere near the same performance as 2012, but manageable if I restart inventor regularly.

While modelling though, I have not experienced any issues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reg
Message 16 of 67
rhasell

Update for the morning.

I had to markup a few drawings.......#$^*%$#

NO CHANGE, Slow down as per usual.

What started it all was adding and moving REV clouds.  The system just gets slower and slower, ending up with 45 seconds to Zoom all, WTF.

I restarted Inventor which took another laborious 5 minutes to close all the open drawings, Progressive slow down to complete the rest of the job, but manageable, as by the time the system became painfull I was on the last drawing of a set of 10.

Reg
Message 17 of 67
e.pearman

HELLO AUTODESK ARE YOU OUT THERE?

Message 18 of 67
stevenguy
in reply to: e.pearman

Good luck.

Autodesk don't read this type of problem.

My company has subscription with Autodesk since 2008 ver. now we use 2012.

Since I start work here 2 years ago and I just stop the Inventor Subscription last year.

I told my company the new version of Inventor just like the new car every year there are new car come out but it not much different than the last year version. May be the bumper look different and the head light.

I will get the subcription back if Inventor assembly support multi core.

Keep playing

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2016
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
Message 19 of 67
rhasell
in reply to: stevenguy

I am very happy with the new version, I keep on finding things that are better than the last. It is definitely making my life a bit easier.  It is just the drawings which are a pain in the arse. Even the detailing side has some cool new features. I must admit though it's taken me a while to get to know the new materials library. (On a side note, I only discovered yesterday that Aluminium is the American spellling, after all these years, LOL)

I just wish I could put my finger on something definitive to see what is causing the slow down, then I could send Autodesk something to work with. I feel like a woman taking a car to the dealership and describing the fault as "It makes a noise sometimes"

Reg
Message 20 of 67
trumpy81

@rhasell wrote:
I feel like a woman taking a car to the dealership and describing the fault as "It makes a noise sometimes"

Smiley LOL Been there done that ... lol

Reg, some Americans spell Aluminium like this: Aluminum (no i after the n), The British and other countries (Australia) spell it: Aluminium (i after the n).

Some Americans also pronounce it differently something like: Aloom-in-num whereas the British say something like: Al - you-mini-um.

Just in case you were wondering Smiley Very Happy

Personally, I have no idea which way is correct, but being Australian, we tend to follow the British Smiley LOL

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report