Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 export to dxf?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
lpbug
35423 Views, 22 Replies

Inventor 2013 export to dxf?

I've been looking all over the forum but cannot find any answers as to how I can export my drawing in DXF. I have tried the options for dwg files but am not finding the option to export as dxf. Please- a little help would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks

Tags (3)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
blair
in reply to: lpbug

Try "Save As > Save Copy As", this should allow you to get the DXF file you need.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 23
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi lpbug,

Inventor 2013 can import the DXF file but not export to DXF format, one workaround maybe is export your Inventor file to AutoCAD DWG format -> open it in AutoCAD -> Save As to DXF format.

Regards,

Kevin Li

SQA Engineer / Autodesk, Inc

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 4 of 23
jletcher
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

What wait are you saying DXF is out now. So you added more steps to make a DXF is that What you are saying Kevin? I can only import.

Who's bright idea was that?

That  just upset a lot of manufactures.

Why is autodesk messing up. DXF is the most used file for cnc machines I do about 150 exports of DXF's a day and now I have to Start autocad so I can open the exported dwg and make it a dxf? Is autodesk going to pay for this extra work my engineers have to do? This will cost me ton of money. Heck might as well just go back to Autocad...

Please tell me you are mistaken....... 

Message 5 of 23
mrattray

@KevinLi-Autodesk wrote:

Inventor 2013 can import the DXF file but not export to DXF format, one workaround maybe is export your Inventor file to AutoCAD DWG format -> open it in AutoCAD -> Save As to DXF format.

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 23
SBix26

I might only do ten DXF exports a year for CNC, but I really don't like that I have to now open AutoCAD to do so.  This is a regression that will cost time, money and aggravation.

Message 7 of 23
mrattray
in reply to: SBix26

You don't. I don't know where Kevin is getting this nugget from, but that screen cap I posted is of Inventor exporting a DXF.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 23
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

mrattray would you check for me can you still right click on flat pattern in model and export?

Message 9 of 23
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

Confirmed.

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 23
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

Thank you if I was home I could have checked I have 2013 there.

Message 11 of 23
blair

You don't have the option in the DXF Out to select only the profile for exporting. Yes you can export your drawing to DXF but you don't have the option to select what you want to export.

We do a lot of CNC profile burning and on some shapes we need to Save-As to DWG and then go in and select what we want to export. I guess one could have a IDW template without any border of title block so all we would get is the model.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 23
mrattray
in reply to: blair

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 23
SBix26

I'm not sure, either, what Kevin is referring to, but I also confirmed that drawing export to DXF in 2013 works as it has in previous versions.  Blair, I've always been able to export DXF with Model Geometry Only; in fact if I choose to scale to 1:1 in Model Space, Model Geometry Only is forced.

Message 14 of 23
blair

I'll have to look at the 1:1 option, never in all the years (IV4) have I looked at the 1:1 option in the DXF.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 23
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi Guys,

I am so sorry that I made a mistake here, Inventor supports to export DRAWING to DXF format via Save As -> Save Copy As -> DXF Files dropdown.

My fault to make you confuse and inconvenience !!!

Regards,

Kevin Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 16 of 23
amasva

Hi

A little tip. If you hold down "ctrl" and  "shift" and then click new you get a dialog box. If you then choose drawing you get a empty sheet 🙂

Asle Martin Svastuen
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ulitmate 2012 Sp1 / Vault Collaboration 2012 Sp1
HP EliteBook 8560w
Intel(R)Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 2,0GHz 2,0GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 7 X64 SP1
Message 17 of 23
SBix26
in reply to: amasva

How is this different from just clicking on New and choosing drawing?  Does this have anything to do with exporting to DXF?

Message 18 of 23
amasva

Hi

The tip was ment to Blair. Hi posted:

"We do a lot of CNC profile burning and on some shapes we need to Save-As to DWG and then go in and select what we want to export. I guess one could have a IDW template without any border of title block so all we would get is the model."

Asle Martin Svastuen
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ulitmate 2012 Sp1 / Vault Collaboration 2012 Sp1
HP EliteBook 8560w
Intel(R)Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 2,0GHz 2,0GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 7 X64 SP1
Message 19 of 23
BHOOPER84
in reply to: jletcher

Hi,

I am having the same problem as mentioned in this thread.

When I try the 'Save copy as' DXF route it does not function. If I click the save button nothing happens and if I click the option button nothing happens either. In 2012 when you click the options button you would have got the option to change the export settings i.e. all sheets etc...

I do have the option to change the file formats via the drop down box in the 'save copy as' dialogue box and dxf etc are listed!

When I right click on the flat pattern in 'Model' there is no button for 'Export' in the list that appears. Therefore I cannot get to the Flat pattern dxf export options prompt as shown in this thread.

Its obvious you should be able to save as a dxf from an inventor idw as the buttons are there they are just not working!

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Message 20 of 23
reklawgb
in reply to: BHOOPER84

I am having this problem with Autodesk Design Suite Premium. Inventor 2014 will not give me options, and is having problem exporting to autocad dwg. tried a reinstall as it appears to wotk properly on other similar ionstall machines. Does anyone no what may be causing this issue and how to fix.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report