Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor 2013 dxf import = control vertex splines

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2901 Views, 4 Replies

inventor 2013 dxf import = control vertex splines

Where i work we frequently are importing customers files to be cut out of sheet metal panels.

in order to apply a cut feature to a sheetmetal face the sketch must contain closed profiles.

In 2012 we imported thier file into a sketch with the "constrain endpoints" box checked off and all our profiles were closed. job done, end of story

With the addition of control vertex splines to inventor, its caused a big problem for that part of our workflow.

It appears that in 2013 importing a dxf or dwg into a sketch creates control vertex splines for any splines in the dxf.

I think the mixture of normal geometry, construction geometry in these new spline types seems to be buggering up the process for us. none of splines are closed profiles, and any attempt to close them manually will fail.

I can manually convert all the splines to Interpolation splines, but this would literally take hours to do.

Then i would still have to go through and close all the open profiles.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Or know of a way to make inventor default to interpolation splines on import?

Or have any suggestions for a work arround of some sort? 

My only idea so far was writing a VBA script that will loop through all the splines in the active sketch and convert them. But, i can't seem to find any info on how to convert from one spline type to another.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

John

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi John,

Could you help provided a DXF file for testing, cuase I've test with my own dataset which created in AutoCAD 2012 (save as DXF file), then import it to Inventor 2012 and 2013, both can works fine with it.

your dataset pretty needed for us for retest it again, thanks in advance.

Xun
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Hi, and thanks for responding.

I should note that the dxf's are mostly going to be non-native files.

They will likely have been exported from a vector graphics program like adobe illustrator or corel draw.

it's usually a customer logo or something of that nature.

I have attached an example per your request.

I hope it helps 🙂

Thanks!

John

Message 4 of 5
Xun.Zhang

Hi John,

Tested with your dataset with the same option (Check on check box "Constrain End points") when import to Inventor, and the result listed:

In Inventor 2012, End point combined successfully and user can use the loop for extrude or cut-extrude.

In Inventor 2013, End point combined failure and user can't use the loop for extrude or cut-extrude.

I think it is your pain point, and I believe this is a regression from 2012, and I will submit a defect to our bug system for fixing, thanks very much for your great catch.

Xun
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 5
Daniela_Koloszko

This problem is resolved in SP1 which will be available in the beginning of September. A temporary workaround could be to open the file in AutoCAD and to edit the objects containing splines by transforming them into polylines. Then, after you place them in a sketch in Inventor,  extrusion or other operation will be possible because they will be closed profiles.

Daniela Koloszko

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report