Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
mrm01
Message 1 of 5 (687 Views)

Inventor 2013 - Drawing View Is Missing But Preview Shows It

687 Views, 4 Replies
10-31-2012 05:52 AM

I have a drawing that I created (.dwg) in Inventor 2013 that, when opened, is completely blank.  However, when in the File>Open dialog box, I can click on the name of the drawing and the preview shows the complete drawing with all views fully dimensioned.  I closed Inventor, laucned AutoCAD and tried opening the same file and it was still blank (no views).  I then closed that file and open the old version of the file from the, "OldVersions" folder with Autocad and all the views and dimensions were there.

So I launced Inventor again and reopened the offending print and noticed that the model is not shown in the drawing's model tree.  I'm 100% positive that I did not delete this model/view from the drawing before saving the file.  Thankfully, this is a small drawing and it will only take me a few mintues to recreate it but is anyone else seeing this in their drawings?

I'm using Inventor 2013, SP1.1

Windows 7 64 Bit

Dell M6600

Nvidia Quadro 5010M

Thanks,

Mike

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 5 (666 Views)

Re: Inventor 2013 - Drawing View Is Missing But Preview Shows It

10-31-2012 09:04 AM in reply to: mrm01

mrm01 wrote:

However, when in the File>Open dialog box, I can click on the name of the drawing and the preview shows the complete drawing

The preview thumbnail is not indicative of the geometry still existing in the file.  This is simply a bitmap that Inventor (or any CAD program) captures at some time during an earlier save of the file.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Contributor
mrm01
Message 3 of 5 (648 Views)

11-01-2012 08:46 AM in reply to: mrm01

Agreed.

But, doesn't that prove that the CAD drawing once contained the view?  My question is, what happened to it?  The 3D model is still in the same folder as the 2D drawing but the view is gone. 

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 5 (640 Views)

11-01-2012 09:06 AM in reply to: mrm01

mrm01 wrote:

My question is, what happened to it? 

No idea.  Attach the files here.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Pro
sbixler
Message 5 of 5 (621 Views)

11-02-2012 03:53 AM in reply to: mrm01

In any computer system, the occasional "stuff" happens.  It sounds as if the file was corrupted on the last save (network hiccup, perhaps?).  Using the OldVersions file is the quickest way to retrieve your work.

As JD pointed out, the thumbnail image is generated by Inventor according to the settings in your file (iProperties > Save tab).  The fact that the thumbnail shows an image of the drawing with views makes it even more likely to have been a save operation that failed somehow.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.