Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 crashes when using multiple functions

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
roboconnell2004
834 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor 2013 crashes when using multiple functions

I have been using this software for a few months now, and I continue to have crashing issues. The issues, however related, are not consistent. I tend to have issues when using more complex applications of the software such as crashes when performing a breakout view, freezing and then many times crashing when manipulating a part within an assembly drawing, and several other similar issues. I have received an update SP1.1 (176) and installed it. This update states it contains a fix for issues of crashing due to excessive memory consumption.This seems to be my issue, however I have 6GB of RAM, nVidia Quadro FX 3800 1GB graphics card, Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz processor, and updated drivers... 

I am looking for suggestions from someone who has had similar issues and was able to fix them, or from someone with the knowledge to assist in suggesting possible fixes. (I also have the company IT Guy looking into the issue, but he is unfamiliar with Autodesk and many of the issues related with Autodesk)

Thanks in advance!!!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mrattray
in reply to: roboconnell2004

Those PC specs aren't very good for Inventor. What kind of work are you doing?

I struggle with memory consumption sometimes with 8GB, and I don't think my files are large at all. Also, your i7 is a complete waste for CAD work. Besides a couple of exceptions, most notably drawing views, Inventor only uses one core. That means as far as Inventor is concerned you have one 0.443 GHZ (2.66 GHZ divided by 6 cores) processor.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 12
roboconnell2004
in reply to: mrattray

I work for a manufacturing company that produces dryer systems, and we are currently transitioning into 3D. Mainly drums with inner flighting and seal plates ect... I am feeling that I am sitting in front of a machine that was quite nice 5 yrs ago, however I am told (from IT and Admin. ) that it spec.'s just great for AutoCAD. (although I am using Inventor) I feel that I am going to continue to have the issues as I am not scheduled for an upgrade for some time. I am looking for some type of suggestion for the time being. I understand that there are some issues with drivers and other typs of software that could keep performance to a crawl. 

If you were going to order a new PC what specs would you insist on? I ask this so that I have some understanding of what is going to be good enough going into a meeting with IT about a possible upgrade...

Once again thanks in advance for your advice.

Message 4 of 12
nannerdw

@mrattray wrote:
That means as far as Inventor is concerned you have one 0.443 GHZ (2.66 GHZ divided by 6 cores) processor.

No, the clock speed will still be 2.66 GHz, but it will just utilize one core (equivalent to a 2.66 GHz single core processor).

Message 5 of 12
mrattray
in reply to: nannerdw

I've been itching to use this Smiley Happy:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=clock+speed+of+multi+core+processors

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 12
nannerdw

Please provide a link which explains the behavior you're describing for multi-core processors.  It goes against everything I've ever read on the subject.

Message 7 of 12
dgorsman

Your hardware isn't *that* bad, aside from the RAM.  Might be a bit pokey here and there but with some additional RAM and good modeling practices it should be useable on moderately complex work for another few years.  RAM is relatively cheap so you might be able to bargain with your budget people to get more in exchange for holding off on requesting major hardware upgrades for a couple of years.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 12
mrattray
in reply to: nannerdw

It looks like I spoke too soon and made myself look like an ****. Sorry. This is what usually happens when I pretend to be a tech geek. Smiley Embarassed

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 12
blair

How often do you "Save" while working?

I also find that Inventor's stability is also related to a proper installation and a clean system.

1.) Logged in with Admin privileges when installing the software

2.) UAC slider set to lowest setting when installing the software

3.) I usually disable the Anti-Virus software when installing Inventor

4.) Having minimum of Power User setting while using the software

5.) Hard-drive is defragmented on a regular basis

6.) All temp directories and caches are purged and cleaned on a regular basis

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

Are you using Projects (*.ipj) or Vault?

Modeling techniques can effect the behaviors you describe.

Assembly constraints can effect the behaviors you describe.

You want to develop the strong robust modeling/assembly constraint techniques.

Read response #8 by Walt Jaquith in this thread http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/IS-INVENTOR-REALLY-USEFUL/m-p/1332811/highlight/true...

Hardware and other software on machine can effect the behaviors you describe.

These can be the most difficult problems to solve.  Especially for an older machine.

I recommend restoring a HDD to out-of-the-box OS condition and re-install of software every 1-2 years.

In my experience I am always shocked how "renewed" my machine seems after going through this tedious process.

I have run fairly satisfactory on some very old (32-bit) OS machines. 
Of course if you can get a new machine.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 12
SBix26

You haven't told us what operating system you're using.  I assume Windows 7 64-bit.  If not, we've found a big part of the problem.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 12 of 12

Hi! When it crashes, did you submit crash report? If yes, could you send me an email with the email address you submitted the report with? If not, please submit crash report with your email address and send me a private email at (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Have you tried turning the following option off?

Go to Tools -> Application Options -> Drawing -> uncheck "Enable Background Update"

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report