Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 Crashes Instantly

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
n.k.timofeev
4765 Views, 33 Replies

Inventor 2013 Crashes Instantly

Hello everyone,

Never hoped I would use one of this forums, but it seems like I need your help. Did I mention? - I NEED YOUR HELP!

So this was really weird. I installed 2013 version about a month ago and it worked great! Haven't used it for 2 weeks and yesterday, tried opening it, but when I tried creating a new file it crashes. I was surprised. So I tried again, and it still crashed. Then I tried opening an existing file and guess what? It crashed. I tried reinstalling 2013 version. Keeps crashing. It only opens the home screen and once I say create a part file or open a file and after I choose the file in the location, it crashes again. I am so disappointed.

Also tried to install 2012 version, but it wouldn't install it at all!!! It refuses to install anything and shows error.

I am really confused about what happened. Don't seem to have any reasonable explanation.

Hope you all can help!

Let me know if you need to know more, I will try to explain better.

Thanks,

Nikita

Tags (3)
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: n.k.timofeev

Are you getting any error messages?

Please post screen shot of crash, if possible.

Message 3 of 34
n.k.timofeev
in reply to: Anonymous

Yeah I do. But I won't have access to it until later tonigh.

Thanks

Message 4 of 34
JDMather

My guess is at this point you will need to search Google for Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions.

Update and run virus scanner.

Reinstall with virus scanner and UAC turned off.

When you get it reinstalled and verify that all is well - Create a Windows Restore Point.  (and faithfully do this after install of any new program)

Next time restore to date when it worked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 34
n.k.timofeev

Here is a screen sht of the error report.

Message 6 of 34
ckesler

Has a solution been found for this? I'm experiencing the exact same problem as OP to the letter. Inventor Pro 2013 worked perfectly a month ago then last week everything went south.

Message 7 of 34
n.k.timofeev
in reply to: ckesler

Hi,

Unfortunately NO!!! I tried many things:

-Uninstalling Inventor with the program Uninstaller

-Deleting Inventor folders in various locations on my drive

-Erasing directory in HKEY

But after hours and hours trying to find a solution nothing worked. Now it's even better - I can't even uninstal the Inventor itself.... Program can't be found. I can't run it. However, during the installation, it shows that the Inventor is present on my computer.

Very interesting situation...

I would suggest not to repeat the steps I did. I keep trying to find time to call the customer service and help me fix it, but never have free time.

Let me know if you find a solution.

Message 8 of 34
ckesler

I have two budies in the same situation. I wonder if a Windows Update or something caused the problems? Everything worked fine until a couple weeks ago.

If I find a solution I will gladly let you know.

Message 9 of 34

From the crash reports we've recieved from you, it appears that DirectX might not be properly installed on your systems.

Try running the dxdiag command - ideally you should have DirectX version11 installed for 2013, (although it has been tested back to version 9). If you don't have v11 then see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

Depending on your specific h/w you might also need to update your graphics driver too, after the DirectX upgrade.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 34
ckesler

I have attempted the Autodesk clean uninstall. Reinstalled the Inventor 2013. Ran dxdiag and attached is the report. Everything appeared to be up to date but I went ahead and attempted to update DirectX and drivers. Also installed recommended maintenance update also attached. Now when opening a file I no longer get error report Inventor just closes.

Message 11 of 34

Chris, 

I don't think DirectX caused this problem. I have lenovo and I did every update possible before trying to see if something was wrong with the Inventor. 

If I call customer support, will they be able to look at my computer and the issue, like the antivirus guys do? May be it will be the easiest way to solve this problem. 

Thanks,

Nikita

Message 12 of 34

Have you tried starting Inventor using the software graphics mode to see if that helps ? Start Inventor but don't open a file. Go to Tools, Application Options, then the Hardware tab. Check Compatibility & Software Graphics. Then try opening a file.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 34

Chris,

I think that I have uninstalled it so many times that I deleted something important at this point.... I can't run Inventor at all. I will be calling customer support to help me with this issue...

Thanks for your help.

Message 14 of 34

Actually, I couldn't even do that. Once I try to access Application Options it crashes too. Fusion doesn't seem to work either. Crashes during start up. 

To be able install inventor I did the following:

Dear Nikita Timofeev,

Thank you for contacting Autodesk.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your Inventor 2013. To double check the uninstallation status of your Inventor 2013, we kindly invite you to visit the pages below to go thru the recommended solutions or procedures from there:

Uninstalling Inventor:
http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS14893355

To Diagnose and Fix installation problems automatically, please see the new Microsoft tool for this here:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

For more information on the Autodesk KB Support article concerning the clean uninstall of Autodesk products, see this link:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?si?teID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617

But there is still no success.

Message 15 of 34
m.granata

I don't know exactly what's causing your issue.  It almost sounds like something a virus would cause.  Although, many years ago when I used AutoCAD I had a hard drive starting to get bad sectors and crazy things started to happen.  Couldn't find files, and eventually AutoCAD wouldn't open.  I reformatted the drive and all worked okay for a short time then the same issues started up again.  I've also seen a bad video card create wierd problems.  This is only my opinion if I had your problem.  I would bite the bullet at this point, make sure I had the data files backed-up, reformat the hard drive,  reinstall the OS and update it, make sure you have the correct video driver, run Windows error checking utility on the drive, if all okay reinstall your Inventor suite and go from there.

Good Luck,

Message 16 of 34
n.k.timofeev
in reply to: m.granata

Yeah... I don't think it is that either. I have a version of Siemens PLM NX and it is working faster than Inventor used to work on my laptop. I have 3rd generation Intel Core i5-3210M Processor( 2.50GHz 1600MHz 3MB) with a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M and 6GB Memory, so I really don't think there is anything wrong with my video card, or the registry, or the OS... I was buying this computer so I can run Inventor on it... Ironic.

I think it has to do with the software. I run everything else just fine and there is a zero (or almost no) chance I would have a virus on my PC... It would have effected other software as well, don't you think? So there is really gotta be a solution.

Message 17 of 34
m.granata

You are probably correct in that it is software related.  I just thought I'd put my thoughts on the situation in your post.  It sounds like a nice system you have.  Much newer and very likely faster than mine.  Mine is an older HP XW 8400 workstation, 64 bit Windows 7, two Xeon dual core CPU's, and a Quadro FX 1800 video card.  Its an off-lease unit I purchased used, but it has been rock solid reliable.  I read of all the crashing problems people have with Inventor and fortunately so far I haven't experienced that.  I did have an issue with the fillet dialog box blacking out for a few seconds when executing complex variable radius fillets but that stopped after installing the current Inventor service pack.

I would think Autodesk tech support would contact you, if they haven't already, and help you resolve this issue.  I don't know what else to suggest at this time.  I am curious to hear what solves this issue.  Good Luck.

Message 18 of 34

Nikita,

At what point does it crash ? Do you even get to the start splashscreen in a zero doc state ? Can you access application options, without opening a document, so that you can try switching to the graphical modes mentioned above & perhaps unload all add-ins ?

If you don't resolved this, then send me an email at ChrisDOTMitchellATautodeskDOTcom & I'll see what I can see over a screen share session.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 19 of 34

Also, do you have any sort of 3D controller attached ? If so, is the driver up-to-date ? Does it make a difference if you unplug that & uninstall the driver ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 34
ckesler_1

As Nikita stated I also am at the point that Inventor crashes upon trying to open a new or already created file from the welcome screen or if I close the welcome screen and try to open from Inventors window.

It no longer gives me the "send error report" window and just self closes Invenor.

When I click Application Options instant crash.

Im considering doing a screen capture video and posting it if that would help to show exactly what happens.

Regards,

Clayton Kesler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report