Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 - Can't Create New Files

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
MMirynowski
2849 Views, 17 Replies

Inventor 2013 - Can't Create New Files

I am currently using Autodesk Inventor 2013 Product Design Suite. When I open a new instance of Inventor, I get the "Welcome!" window the pops up along with the blank inventor program.  From here if I attempt to create a "new" file, it seems to just freeze.  I cannot even get into the window that lets you pick which template you would like to use.  I have tried creating from all 4 locations (Welcome!, general toolbar, Get Started, and Inventor's file equiv).

I have no problems opening files that have already been created which leads me to believe that there must be some error in brining up that new template window.  This makes converting my 3D models into 2D autoCAD files impossible.

Anyone have any tips for fixing this or even a temporary work around?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: MMirynowski
Message 3 of 18
MMirynowski
in reply to: Anonymous

There are two different files in this .zip  DL19384851 & DL20082900 64-Bit... Install both?

Message 4 of 18
mrattray

One is 32 bit and one is 64 bit. Only install the one that is correct for your operating system.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 18
jack

I installed the beta SP1.1 and I still can not create a new file.  What is plan B?

Message 6 of 18
mrattray
in reply to: jack

I don't know what may be causing the problem but a temporary work around may be to open your template file manually and do a save as everytime you need to create a new file.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 18
jack
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks for the clever idea of a work around by manually using the template file as a starting point.  Unfortunately I got the same "hang" effect of the computer trying that.  To be a little more descriptive, once you select NEW - standard.ipt - Create 2D Sketch - select one of the work planes (I still select the XY plane) - it is at this point the program starts behaving differently.  Instead of meshing the plane surface area it remains clear, then after I orient the screen to plan view I select one of the draw command primitives and move down to the screen.  Once I press the mouse button to start the geometry Inventor hangs (screen eventually fades out).  You have to use the task manager to clear it.

I am using the Pro version of Inventor (2013) and this new problem occured after one of the automatic Win 7 updates.

My work around on this project will be to create new content in Inventor 2012, then use 2013 to bring it into the project I am currently working on.  Once I finish this project I will go back to 2012 until I hear back from AutoDESK about a fix.

Thanks for help

Message 8 of 18
jack

By the way this is another excellent example of why Inventor should be allowed to save one version level down.  Just had to get that in the record, a request I have been asking for since the initial release of Inventor.

Message 9 of 18
ampster402

Are there any other solid modeling softwares out there that offers the ability to save to previous versions?  None of the big players do.

I don't see Autodesk changing that behavior.

Message 10 of 18
mrattray
in reply to: ampster402

They never will, it forces people to eventually upgrade.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 18
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: mrattray

Can you confirm which templates you are using ? Does it make a difference if you use the as-shipped templates ?

Your comments about what happens after selecting the sketch plane could indicate a potential graphics issue - have you confirmed your graphics drivers are current ?

When you state this started to occur after installing some MS updates - can you confirm which MS updates ? You can see which were installed & when from Control Panel, Uninstall Program, View Installed Updates.

If you have installed .net4.5 then that could be an influencing factor - 2013 currently supports .net4.0 not 4.5

Thanks,
Chris

PS. Support for backward compatibility is absolutely nothing to do with forcing you to do upgrades, (yes I could have used a different phrase there).

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 18
jack
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Chris,

1.  I am using the as-shipped templates.

2.  Because of your suggestion I took the time (and risk) to upgrade my Nvidia drivers but the problem still persists

3.  I will try to attach a pdf file of the latest MS updates that correspond to the time frame of failure of Inventor.

4.  I have NOT installed net4.5.  In trying to determine if was done automatically for me I looked at the upgrade record under the control panel util "Uninstall an update" and all I see is .NET Framework 4 client profile and .NET Framework 4 Extended.

Thanks,  

Jack

Message 13 of 18
ChrisMitchell01

Hi Jack,

Well we're not aware of any issues related to what you show there.

As a next step could you try unloading all add-ins from Tools, Add-ins & retrying.

Also, try using the App Options, Hardware tab to try the various other grpahics modes. Note that you'lll need to exit Inventor after making these changes to ensure you're using the new mode. Does Diagnostics from the App Option Hardware tab show any errors ? (Right at the end of the report).

Thanks
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 18
jack
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Chris,

Sorry for the delay but had to get parts out the door.

I never found a fix for this arbitrary problem triggered by a Microsoft automatic update.

Finally removed IV 2013 and reinstalled plus SP1.  Also reverted back to my "good" GPU driver.

As I type this I am back on line.  I will let you know the next time this happens.

Thanks for your effort on this issue.

Jack

Message 15 of 18
DJS-DT-005

I'm having similar problem of what this person posted.  Can you sent me active link where I can download update of: DL20082900 in 64bit please.  there was broken link!

Thank you

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: DJS-DT-005
Message 17 of 18
DJS-DT-005
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you SOO much!!! it works!!!  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 18
andrewdw

Did you manage to get a fix for this?

I have a similar problem along with other users here:

Autodesk Inventor 2014 Freezes When Creating New Document

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report