Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 assy getting very slow

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
HJ80
411 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor 2013 assy getting very slow

We're working on a assembly for a project, which is moderate sized (+- 1500 components), in Inventor 2013 & we work from the Vault by checking out the files and edit them locally. 

Since a few weeks, the workflow on this model is starting to get very slow, loading the assembly (or releated subassemblies) is taking very long. Inventor loads all the components, then freezes, and if you wait for a while (2-5 mins), the model will load on the screen. 

After loading, we can rotate and zoom without hiccups. When trying to place components or constraints, or opening a subassembly, the program won't respond again for a while.

I've checked everything for bad constraints, disabled all adaptive parts & sketches, deleted all unused styles, disconnected the network, but without any noticeable improvements.

At the start od this project, we worked with IV2010, and halfway through everything has been converted to IV2013, could this be the culprit?

Any help is greatly appreciated, the assembly starts to get a bit unworkable! 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ebuckner
in reply to: HJ80

Could be the hardware or video settings, new software means they all went back to OEM configuration.

Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: HJ80

I would experiment removing parts one at a time and see if it suddenly start responding well.

I can usually guess what part might be a culprit.

I would guess that better than 75% of the time when I see a slow-down issue like this, the culprit is either a particular part or constraint. Constraints causing a issue can be very difficult to track down.

If it isn't a part or constraint causing the issue, can you test the assembly on a more robust machine?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
HJ80
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JDMather, by following your method of deleting assemblies and parts one at a time I discovered the problem.

Some Positional Representations on a level 2 assembly were slowing everything down. They worked like a charm, didn't give any errors, but when I deleted them, the problem went away.

Those Pos reps were pointing to a hydraulic cylinder assembly, which had a IN/OUT rep, but this cylinder was sitting in a assembly 4 levels down compared to the master assembly. After promoting those cylinders and setting up the Pos Reps again, everything worked fine again.. Thanks!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report