Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 - 2D Sketch Distorting!

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
823 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2013 - 2D Sketch Distorting!

Hi,

I have just made the switch from AutoCAD LT 2013 to Inventor LT 2013 and I'm having a few teething problems....almost definitely some minor setting somewhere that my inexperience with the new software is preventing me from resolving, so I'm hoping you can help.

When I select the xy plane to create a new 2D sketch the yellow square (node?) does not appear at the junction between the axis. Also, if I start a line command from the 0,0 co-ordinate and draw a trinagle, as soon as I fillet the corners the triangle moves off the 0,0 co-ordinate and jumps slightly to the right. Then, when I trim the part of the line that is left after I complete the last fillet command, the sketch distorts. It seems that editting the sketch removes the constraint or the constraint is not there to begin with - I don't know if this is linked to the absence of the axis node.

I have spent time online trying to find a solution and I have had a poke around in the Application Options & Documents Settings dialogue boxes, but with no luck. I've attached a sreec shot of the distorted equilateral triangle after the trim command. I'd be greatful for any help.

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Try constraining the bottom line horizontal, ands equal constraints between the rest of the lines. 

Message 3 of 5
JDMather

Tools>Application Options>Sketch tab - Automatically Project Origin on Sketch Create.

In addition to the Horizontal constraint and equal constraints

- make sure you have tangent constraints between lines and arcs (if you used fillet command these should be automatic)

- you need only 1 of the 60° dimensions

- you need only one of the length dimensions ( I would dimension the base).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JDMather, I added the UCS origin on sketch create and tried the sketch again....it worked fine.

As for your comments about the dimensions, those dimensions were added automatically as I drew the lines and applied the fillets. Not really sure why it only applies dimensions to some of the lines and fillets, but at least I'm back on track now.

Sorry if it was a dumb **** question, I knew it was going to be a check box somewhere, but as someone who has worked solely with AutoCAD LT for over 15 years, the move to Inventor LT is quite an eye opener!

Thanks again,

Mike

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi rjezuit,

Thanks for replying. The problem appears to have been the missing UCS origin marker on the axis. Once I added this (see JDMather's reply) and tried the sketch again, it worked fine.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report