Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Stress Analysis Report

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BAR1988
4617 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor 2012 Stress Analysis Report

I want to make the most of Inventor 2012 and want to start using the Stress Analysis part for checking our frames etc are going to hold the weight we propose.

I think i've managed to input the all the information right but i don't understand the results that come out on the report.  I was expecting something to say 'YES THIS FRAME IS FIT FOR THE LOADINGS WITH THE SAFETY FACTOR OF 1:5' or 'MEMBER ISO 100x100x6.3 00000001 FAILED' etc.

I've attached a copy of the report and overmarked bits i need help with.  Can you help?  or direct me to where i'll get the answers i need. 

Thanks Bruce

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
raviburla
in reply to: BAR1988

Hello Bruce,

Here are some responses to your questions in the report that was attached with your query:

1. Advanced Settings: These are mesh settings for the simulation, More information can be found on the Autodesk Wiki Help

2. Force Load: 1 Kg-F is approximately equal to 9.81 N.

3. Result Summary: Results are summarized as minimum value and maximum value in the entire model for a particular result type.

4. In Inventor ul - means unitless. If the maximum factor of safety in the model is greater than or equal to 15, its set to 15. For the model maximum factor of safety is 15.

5. Similar to (4), the strains are listed as unitless quantities.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravi Burla (Autodesk)

Ravi Burla
Sr. Principal Research Engineer
Message 3 of 7
BAR1988

Thanks for your reply Ravi,

I'm still unsure of the safety factor part. 

Am i right in saying as the minimum safety factor in my simulation is 0.95917ul the frame will fail if i apply my proposed loads?

Thanks

Bruce

Message 4 of 7
swalton

If the safety factor is based on the material yield strength (typically the default setting), your design may be permanently deformed by your loads. If you are using a ductile material, the load may not fall from the racks.

If the safety factor is based on the material ultimate strength, your design may fail and drop the load from the racks.

Which of those two conditions is a failure? 

What is your minimum acceptable factor of safety? 

The closer you are to 1, the better your assumptions and FEA initial conditions must match reality, if you don't want a bent or broken structure.  Note that FEA does not include any fatigue effects on the material. Don't forget to evaluate stress concentration factors.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 7
marcolarak

Dear Ravi I see the Bruce http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-2012-Stress-Analysis-Report/td-p/3174242 question in a previous forum for stress analysis.

My questions are about all the results or format or report about the Inventor Analysis. Where can I find the whole meaning?.

Best Regards

Marco Lara K.

RAS Engineer

Message 6 of 7
raviburla
in reply to: marcolarak

Hi,

The following wiki links have the help related to Inventor Simulation:

Top level Help: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2014/Help/1283-Inventor1283/5910-Stress_A5910

Help for Sharing results and data: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2014/Help/1283-Inventor1283/5910-Stress_A5910/5977-Stress_...

Helo for Genrating Reports: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2014/Help/1283-Inventor1283/5910-Stress_A5910/5911-Getting...

Is this what you were looking for? Please let us know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks,

Ravi Burla

Principal Research Engineer

Design, Lifecycle and Simulation

Ravi Burla
Sr. Principal Research Engineer
Message 7 of 7
marcolarak
in reply to: raviburla

Thank´s that´s is.

BR
ML

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report