Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Sheet metal

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mmistry
460 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor 2012 Sheet metal

having trouble creating dimples using punch I created in the 0.005" sheet metal.  the punch is 90° to the plate?  can anybody help?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: mmistry

Seems like this has been covered here very recently?

The key to a Punch feature like this is to get a workplane perpendicular to the placement plane.

The way I start out is with a sketch circle placed at a sketch point (the first sketch has to have the sketch point.
Then I create a line bisecting the circle.

Add a coincident constraint at the midpoint to the sketch point.
Exit sketch.
Now you have the needed geometry to create the perpendicular workplane - simply click the sketch point and the sketch line.

Use that dependent child workplane to create all geometry for the Punch tool.

I'll try to post an example on Monday - meantime a search back a week or three should turn up links to a tutorial (I think by Curtis, I do mine slightly different).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I want to emphasize - only the first sketch of the Punch should be on the face of the part - all other geometry should be totally dependent on this first sketch rather than dependent on the part face for really robust punch tools.  That way when placing - there is only one placement reference (other than the sketch centerpoint) the face of the part.  When authoring if it indicates multiple references will be needed - there might be a better way to create the punch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 6
mmistry

thank you I will try it out.

Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: mmistry

Here is a start -

Note: if you have AutoProject Origin turned on (you should) - delete the projected origin as you don't want that in a punch sketch.

Note: that the line in the circle does not have a horizontal or vertical constraint and that the Workplane is only dependent on the sketch line and the sketch point - it is not dependent on any other part geometry.

Message 6 of 6
mmistry

I have tired to create the shape I require but cannot create a punch feature from it, please see attached.  I am doing somthing wrong, please advise.  I have seen the tutorial on sheet metal by Daryl Corelli but his punches are for louvers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report